General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy average MPG? Hiway and in town...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:27 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

`Guess I`m at the low end with my sig bike at 34-35 mpg, but my bike ran great with a PC3 on it(came with the bike). Not to hijack, but what just happened a couple of days ago may change that. I bought this bike last December when it had about 17K on it and the engine had just been rebuilt. I had to break it in like it was a brand new bike. The mileage has always been the same and never varied more than a mile or two mpg, no matter how I rode it. Now, three oil changes later (including the 1000 mile change after break-in) and at a little over 29K miles, the mileage and performance hasn`t changed at all. What happened recently was my engine started missing badly, and acted like it was running on just one cylinder. I wasn`t too far from the dealer I bought it from, and I have a 5 year warranty, so the bike limped there. The dealer found that the plastic tray which holds the ECM had pushed through the square slot in the fender, in which it was factory installed, and up against the rotating tire. It and the PC3 that was sitting on top of it got trashed because whoever installed the PC3 should not have put it there. There wasn`t enough room for both, and over time the pressure of that installation eventually led to this problem. The dealer won`t cover the PC3 replacement, as it is an aftermarket part, even though I bought the bike that way. I didn`t even know I had the PC3 until I pulled the seat one day a couple of months after I bought the bike. Anyway, the bike is still at the dealer waiting on the replacement tray which was ordered. The dealer said they will load the correct map on the new ECM, and that it will run as good or better than before. I hope so. I don`t really care about great mileage, just that the bike will run well.