General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Langlitz? Schott? Vanson?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Langlitz? Schott? Vanson?

Another thread here has gotten me interested in purchasing a new, quality leather jacket. I have spent a good deal of time researching the manufacturer's websites and pricelists. I am still in a quandry as to which I will purchase. For the style of jacket I am interested in it looks like Langlitz is clearly the most expensive coming in at $900; Schott hitting at $660 and the Vanson just at $500. None are cheap by any means and all seem to be quality, made in America products. Some differences that trouble me are:
1) Dave at Langlitz does not recommend horsehide due to high cost (yet his jacket is the most expensive) and prefers goathide.
2) Schott offers horsehide for a third less cost than the Langlitz.
3) Vanson features competition leathers while Schott seems to be more of a fashion apparel company while Langlitz is very singular in what they offer ie motorcycle jackets.
4) Schott offers a full refund for any reason while for Vanson its a qualified return. Langlitz offers complete customer satisfaction guarantee but not sure they will allow return if I just decide I dont like the jacket.
5) Langlitz is custom made to my exact measurements while Schott and Vanson are sizes "off the rack". I gotta believe the Langlitz will fit me the best.
What bothers me most is laying out this cash for something I cant see or try on before making the decision. I see many Vansons and Schotts on Ebay but have yet to see a Langlitz. Maybe this is an indicator of customer satisfaction?
Would love to hear from owners of these jackets realizing opinions are biased.

thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure vanson is still making jackets in the US?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

of the three vanson is your best bang for the buck, it's a better jacket hands down than the schott and they are still making jackets in the usa, not all production is moving overseas. i read an interesting article on vanson from the owner, he said he is making jackets overseas to compete with cheaper goods from china and also because his european sales (more than half his market) dropped hugely after the US invaded iraq, people were drawn away from the US flag inside (he received jackets for repair from europe with the US flag cut out) the jacket. heche en costa rica looks better to foreign vanson buyers than Made in the USA with the US flag. schott makes many jackets overseas too.

go to vanson and schott's website, go to dealer locator and try some jackets on, buying a jacket for that money site unseen is stupid IMO. if money is no object and you like the styling, the langlitz is obviously your best bet. i don't like the styling of the langlitz jackets though and they're just too much money.

Last edited by babalu; 01-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
JackDupp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hoethree
Another thread here has gotten me interested in purchasing a new, quality leather jacket. I have spent a good deal of time researching the manufacturer's websites and pricelists. I am still in a quandry as to which I will purchase. For the style of jacket I am interested in it looks like Langlitz is clearly the most expensive coming in at $900; Schott hitting at $660 and the Vanson just at $500. None are cheap by any means and all seem to be quality, made in America products. Some differences that trouble me are:
1) Dave at Langlitz does not recommend horsehide due to high cost (yet his jacket is the most expensive) and prefers goathide.
2) Schott offers horsehide for a third less cost than the Langlitz.
3) Vanson features competition leathers while Schott seems to be more of a fashion apparel company while Langlitz is very singular in what they offer ie motorcycle jackets.
4) Schott offers a full refund for any reason while for Vanson its a qualified return. Langlitz offers complete customer satisfaction guarantee but not sure they will allow return if I just decide I dont like the jacket.
5) Langlitz is custom made to my exact measurements while Schott and Vanson are sizes "off the rack". I gotta believe the Langlitz will fit me the best.
What bothers me most is laying out this cash for something I cant see or try on before making the decision. I see many Vansons and Schotts on Ebay but have yet to see a Langlitz. Maybe this is an indicator of customer satisfaction?

thanks
Langlitz and Vanson= Quality
Schotts= well..low price

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM
exrangermike
Intermediate

Here is a site on e-bay with several Langlitz for sale. Even on e-bay they bring a big price. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=lan...lanlitz&_rdc=1

Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
gobucks
Advanced

I am a leather jacket junkie. Have two harley leather jackets, two sportbike leather jackets from alpinestars and dainse (top notch italian jacket) that i use when i am on my ducati. I bought my last ever cruiser jacket last april, and that is the langlitz. Imagine zipping on a glove when you put on a langlitz, that is what it feels like with a custom fitted jacket. For me to have that fit with the high quality of the langlitz makes it worth the steep price. People notice the quality also as i have gotten several comments on the weight and the craftsmanship. for me, off the rack was ok, but my langlitz is perfect. For some, not a big deal, for me it was. I finnally was convinced to pull the trigger on it after reading all the posts right here from langlitz owners. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:06 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I've two Vason
Vason onsite also has custom fit.
Go to site
Also have a Tourmaster vented with Amour
that I've been down hard in IT WORKS

It's your pick
I won't ride in anything but Vanson.
Or Tourmaster

your money your choice

Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree

thanks
A. Go try one on - I tried a Schott in a store and knew my size, but got mine of Ebay for $250 (new, with tags on, from a dealer).

B. Yes, there are always Langlitz jackets and pants for sale on Ebay - there are several right now. Vanson and Schott are bigger companies with a lot more products on the market and Schott been around a lot longer, so there are going to be more of them. You are correct that Schott also has many lines of clothing that have nothing to do with motorcycles, wher Vanson and Langlitz seem to be just motorcycle leather companies, best I can tell.

C. I like the history that goes with Schott. Langlitz and Vanson make some nice jackets, but if they weigh any more than my Perfecto, I wouldn't want them anyhow and Johnny Ramone and Marlon brando never wore Vanson or Langlitz. I notice Vanson markets a Perfecto copy they calll a "Brando" jacket - I don't see Schott marketing a Vanson-copy "Wild Hogs" jacket (apparently they wore Vansons).

Last edited by brenn; 01-24-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well in addition to the wild hogs actors wearing vanson leathers so do a very large portion of professional motorcycle racers, don't know any that wear schott, but maybe in their off hours they wear the schott retro car coat and one of their $45.00 T-shirts.

i liked my schott jacket and intended on getting another, but side by side with the vanson the schott was a fashion jacket, no comparison at all. the model b is a really nice looking jacket too, wears like iron.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Moe Taters
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Langlitz is the only one you will need to add to your will to assure your family's harmony after your death.. Not even close.. Horsehide cost is not issue.. Goathide is much tougher pound for pound.. Langlitz quality is heads and shoulders above all others..

Quick Reply: Langlitz? Schott? Vanson?