General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Winter Mods

Just wanted to share my winter project with you guys as it is almost complete for this year. This is the 2006 Harley Street Bob I bought in October. The bike had been sitting in a barn for almost two years and I bought it very cheap with 4300 miles on it. Note, it was in very rough shape when I brought it home from sitting. I've put close to 60 hours in it detailing (rubbing chrome, aluminum parts, and the paint). When I brought the bike home, it had a slight pop on decel so I started looking into what was done to the bike previously. Found previous owner had installed a Screaming Eagle stage 1 kit and Python Staggered Dual pipes with no baffles, but did not have the EFI system tuned to the add ons (basically he was slamming a bunch more air into the engine and did not adjust the fuel ratio to accomodate this), hence running lean and that was my popping on decel. Added a Power Commander III fuel tuner system and had Del's High Performance dyno tune the bike and map the cylinders, the change was unbelievable but I still had a flat spot in the mid-range so added Vance and Hines baffles to quiet it down a little (it was ear splitting loud) and give me some back pressure, and it worked, no more flat spot. I also changed all the oils over to full synthetic.
Now the mods started.... made it a solo rider (wife hates to ride), new diamond black grips, edge cut mirrors and levers, diamond black pegs, highway bars, rear fender bib, smoked lenses on turn signals, smoked tail light, black finned primary and timing covers, diamond black LED gas caps, lay down license plate holder.... Added a new Joker Machine black finned air cleaner assembly and the POW/MIA horn cover (A guy in PA custom paints these.... I wanted to honor our Vietnam Vets, it is powder coated and then clear coated, beautiful piece of work). Added a tool bag to the lower front frame (always hated riding without some tools). I also shimmed the motor mounts about .180 to give the mounts their elascity back, when Harley installs these on Dynas, they tend to stretch too much and takes much of the elascity out and then you have that slight vibration that Dynas are famous for. This worked and the bike rides so much better. Added quite a bit new hardware also (bolts, caps, covers on bolts, brackets, etc.).
Just wanted to share this, I am really proud of the way the bike turned out after so many hours put into it and well over $2000 invested. Am I done? Are you ever with a Harley.... Now looking at black etched rims and black handlebars but will be waiting awhile for these. Like the blacked out look with a touch of chrome and am trying to keep that "old school look" on the bike.
Wife has been really cool about the time and money spent (she knew how much I missed my Harleys and working on them), but I haven't told her how much new rims would cost yet....haha

Attached Thumbnails Winter Mods-bike.jpg   Winter Mods-horn.jpg   Winter Mods-rear.jpg  

Last edited by Galdog; 01-31-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, didn't notice attachments were not working!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet lookin' ride !!!