General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Manual: Clymer or HD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Service Manual: Clymer or HD?

I have a copy of the HD service manual for my 2003 Dyna Wide Glide but would like to know what opinions you all have regarding the Clymer manual. They seem similar to the Haynes automotive manual.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're not as good as the HD.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 AM
toby61
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

better off buying the H-D manual.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 01-31-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
I have a copy of the HD service manual for my 2003 Dyna Wide Glide but would like to know what opinions you all have regarding the Clymer manual. They seem similar to the Haynes automotive manual.

the clymer manual is about 100 times better than haynes, no comparison, the haynes manual is worthless. personally i like the clymer manual better. i had the HD one with my old sporty, i have the clymer with my softail. the clymer is a bit more detailed, for instance on my sporty the HD manual said to drain the tank (from memory, i'm ad-libbing).

1. remove the AC from the carb
2. remove the carb from the intake
3. disconnect the fuel line from the carb
4. run the line to a gas can
5. put the petcock to RES

clymer tells you to just remove the fuel line from the petcock, and to attach a vacuum to the the petcock to get the gas flowing, even shows a pic of the mighty vac you can pick up in any auto-zone. makes much more sense than the HD manual version. first time i removed my sporty tank i have the carb in pieces for some stupid reason.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the clymer manual for all 4 of my bikes. pictures and detailed writeups-- im a noob without them.

cant speak for the HD manual since ive never seen or used it, but i agree that the haynes manuals leave something to be desired.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Just a quick reminder. HD does NOT provide their manuals for download or for sale on CD. The people offering those items for sale are doing so illegally and we do not allow discussion of that activity on HD Forums. This is also part of our Terms of Service.

The Moderators

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Just a quick reminder. HD does NOT provide their manuals for download or for sale on CD. The people offering those items for sale are doing so illegally and we do not allow discussion of that activity on HD Forums. This is also part of our Terms of Service.

The Moderators
I never understood someone spending $20K for a bike and then not wanting to pay for the manual. You are 100% correct, downloading is illegal.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Moderators
here we go the thought police

Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

I prefer HD manuals, but think a lot comes down to preference. And if ya got some spare change, get both.

Hey Mod...Unless I missed it because you deleted it, I see no mention of anyone offering up a CD of the manual. So can we save the George Orwell philosophy for when/where it is needed and not before.

Last edited by panz4ever; 01-31-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The Moderators
+1 I have never seen them on CD but did run across one on sendspece once for a sportster. I was able to find 2 of my 3 factory manuals used on ebay for $19 each.

Quick Reply: Service Manual: Clymer or HD?