General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Motor Oil

Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 PM
CobraEd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Motor Oil

Check out this article. Most all of the oils test out the same until you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list. I knew that Royal Purple oil was terriffic stuff from other info I have read, but look at the results here. Huge difference!!! They make a 20 - 50 motorcycle oil that is all I use in my Dyna.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Old 02-05-2011, 01:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

100% total bullshit

Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
100% total bullshit

Why is that? I was thinking Red Line or Royal Purple this time to replace the (now I shudder) Syn3 in the scoot. Now I'm leaning toward Purple...

Scratch that...I just bought a case of Amzoil.

Last edited by TORQUEY; 02-06-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I would think that a proper test would have used all the same viscosity oil. This test includes oils, from as low as 0 x 40 to 15 x 50 .

Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

2 reasons.

1. The Timken bearing test machine is made for testing gear oils on tapered roller bearings used in transmissions. No correlation with internal combustion engine test conditions or data.

2. The oils in the tests are automotive (water cooled) engine oils. Not air cooled loose tolerance Vtwin engines.

So, if you plan on using a 5w40 or 10w40 engine oil in your Harley transmission then some of this test data may be close. Otherwise it is crap.

Also, not sure there are any tapered roller bearings in a Harley Davidson...might be in the trans but I doubt it.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
I would think that a proper test would have used all the same viscosity oil. This test includes oils, from as low as 0 x 40 to 15 x 50 .
Yeah, that would be another minor detail.....

Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, 7 posts and he's an oil expert!!! Does the OP work for Royal Purple?

The article may not be 100% BS, but it's at least 99.9% BS. What oil we use is mostly personal preference. As long as you use quality oil and change it regularly you won't have any oil related problems.

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 2696
Size:  105.0 KB

Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mal74
What oil we use is mostly personal preference. As long as you use quality oil and change it regularly you won't have any oil related problems.

Exactly! As long as it meets the Harley API specs in your owners manual.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
2 reasons.

1. The Timken bearing test machine is made for testing gear oils on tapered roller bearings used in transmissions. No correlation with internal combustion engine test conditions or data.

2. The oils in the tests are automotive (water cooled) engine oils. Not air cooled loose tolerance Vtwin engines.

So, if you plan on using a 5w40 or 10w40 engine oil in your Harley transmission then some of this test data may be close. Otherwise it is crap.

Also, not sure there are any tapered roller bearings in a Harley Davidson...might be in the trans but I doubt it.
This is the part that intrigues me. This is undoubtedly representing HD Dino Oil, Syn3, and their product. Admittedly, I am NO oil expert. However, I certainly have yet to hear a solitary bad thing about Royal Purple.

Max-Cycle is specifically formulated to significantly improve motorcycle, ATV and snowmobile engine (and transmission) performance. It’s recommended for use in both air-cooled and liquid-cooled 4-cycle engines and it’s compatible with wet-clutch transmissions.
Max-Cycle’s high film strength dramatically reduces wear. Take a look at the pictures of cam chain tensioners below.

Each tensioner came from an American V-Twin engine with 10,000 miles of use. The tensioner on the left is from an engine that used the manufacturer’s conventional oil. The tensioner in the middle is from an engine that used the manufacturer’s synthetic oil. The tensioner on the right is from an engine that used Royal Purple after an initial break-in period of 1,500 miles. Once again, all of the cam chain tensioners are shown after a total of 10,000 miles of use. The difference in wear is dramatic.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:58 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer to use canola oil much better health wise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Motor Oil