General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 AM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fluid change

I'll be doing all my service now on my deuce since I'm convinced dealers are in a conspiracy to rob us all blind. I was reading through the owners manual about types of oil and the recommended oil for my bike determined by the climate where I live (houston, tx) is 20w-50. I took the bike to the stealer for the initial 1000 mile service and requested synthetic oil. They used syn3 20w-50, 5 quarts. The book says 3.5 quarts crankcase oil. I'm assuming they used the same oil in the chaincase and tranny but the book calls for a specific chaincase and trans oil. Is it ok to use the syn3 in the chaincase and tranny or was the stealer lazy on the invoice and didn't specify the different oil?

Sevnty four bucks for 5 quarts oil and primary gasket set sure beats the hell out of the 234 bucks the dealer charges with labor. The book also states that the primary oil and tranny oil doesnt need to be changed again until the 10,000 mile service, just check the levels and the primary chain tension and that looks simple enough. What do ya'll recommend for the 5000 mile service?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: fluid change

Stop by the oil forum and do a search on syn3 and you will see that many people recommend a 75w90 gear oil for the trans. I switched to Redline Shockproof Heavy gear oil. You can read about it at www.redlineoil.com and buy it at www.myoilshop.com
Amsoil also makes a 75w90 synthetic gear oil that is good and Mobil1 makes a 75w90 synthetic gear oil you can get at Autozone.
The gear oil will shear less than motor oil and quiet your trans and make it shift better too.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use syn3 in the engine and primary, Redline shockproof heavy in the trany.

You are going to get a LOT of people telling you "don't use that, use this", Use something that meets the requirements of your bike, you'll be fine.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
firestar99
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine oil and the PRIMARY oil can be the same if you are using a MOTORCYCLE syn oil. I use royal purple for both the engine and primary, but the list is long, SHOCKPROOF ,AMSOIL< MOBILE, are all good MOTORCYCLE oils that can be used in both the engine and the primary. I use the shockproof syn GEAR oil for the tranny. But the other guy was right on when he said there is a PLUTORA of information on the subject

Old 10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS for the replies. Did my research and looks like it'll be syn3 engine/primary and redline heavy in the trans. every 4000 miles. If I can't find a local dealer for the redline I'll be ordering from www.myoilshop.com (thnks kbfxdli) they have the best prices on the net.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:02 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Sounds like Redline shockproof heavy in the trany is the way to go. Gotta look into this.

Is the Redline a synthetic oil?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep that brand new primary gasket as a spare and use the old one over and over until it starts to leak. Save some more scratch.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Sounds like Redline shockproof heavy in the trany is the way to go. Gotta look into this.

Is the Redline a synthetic oil?

Thanks
Yes, Redline is a synthetic oil.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

well coming right up on 2000 miles, 1000 from first service, prolly good time to change tranny to redline. I looked the links www.redlineoil.com and www.myoilshop.com.

Do you get the light or heavy?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Keep good records if you do it yourself if bike still under warranty,dealers do more than just change fluids for that couple hundred dollars.There are many good dealers out there,ask around for input in your area.

Quick Reply: fluid change