General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideglide or Fatbob

Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideglide or Fatbob

I had an incident that set me behind but still moving forward on a Harley purchase. so im looking to buy in April.

Anyway my hearts been set on the WideGlide but since i've had time to look more im starting to love the Fatbob.

The thing is each bike has 1 thing i dont like. for the WG i dont like the front thin tire and for the FB i LOATH the rear fender.

What i want to know is since im new at buying Harley stuff. what would be cheaper to change.

1: putting on a fatter tire in the front on the WG? which i would need a new rim too for the tire correct? and thats where the money would be.

2: Or putting on a different rear fender on the Fatbob?

I'm really handy so i think i could do the tire swap myself but the rear fender change i think i could do also but paint color match would be hard.

Would asking a dealer to swap out the rear fender be to much as part of the deal? do they do stuff like that or would i be asking to much?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

New rear fender DEFINATELY cheeper especially if you go with a black bike. Can probably find a take off fender on eBay for less than the price of a tire/wheel.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 PM
wag_oh_neer
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can buy the '10-up WG fender for around $350 I think don't quote me. From what I've read (on the dyna forum) its pretty much a bolt in deal. Or you could lace a new wheel hoop onto the WG front hub to get a fatter front tire. If you go that route you would have quite a few options for tire/wheel sizes. wheel hoops range in price $50-200 depending on size and spokes $50-100. you could lace and true it yourself to save some money but you could expect to pay around $100 to have it done.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Join the club. I went the FXDF route because I got a great deal on a use done.

Here's a thread that has "how to" and prices for the rear fender switch.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...urbostang.html

There's a few things to consider :

(1) if your Fat Bob is not Vivid Black, you'll have to have the fender painted. turbostang paid about $250 for his paint job. Mine is black denim and I haven't found a local shop that is confident they can patch that - so I change to vivid black or paint the whole bike!
(2) you lose the tail light, so you need a run-turn-stop module for the rear lights. another $100
(3) you lose the license plate mount. HD's side mount is $200. There are others or you could make one, but remember the plate light.
(4) the FXDF fender support covers wont work with a FXDWG fender (too long). You can go bare struts or buy new ($160 for 2) or keep searching ebay (maybe $50)

All in, I figured the mod would cost me $800 for a black denim FXDF. (assuming I can paint the rear fender only and buy all parts new)

I can buy a whole new vivid black paint set for that. thinking about going that way.

For the FXDWG fat front, I don't lknow. But, the forks are thinner and the headlight is different. as are the handlebars.

my guess is it's a push, so let the headllight, handlebars, fork size and mag v. wire wheel make your decision.

this is unless you are vivid plack, then it may be cheaper to put a new fender on the Fat Bob.

Last edited by voudoujoe; 02-25-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

How old are U, what the Vell do U want???????????? n a bike....

I can't answer those ????? unless I have a Idea what Ur wants/needs are.!!!!!!!!!!

Look I am old but still like the looks of the new WG.. and yes I hate the swoosh of the Rear fender of the Fat Bob..........

IMO if U take the WG and change the front fender,,, pipes,,, bars and ride only solo on short rides,,, them U may be happy............

BUT,,,,,,,,,,if U want to ride on longer rides them,,, again IMO U not gonna be HAPPY.....

BY the time U change out all the stuff above I am thinking why not spend the $$$$ and get a Softail the meets all Ur needs...??????????

Why buy a new bike and change it to what U want....... And spent K's of $$$$ to get their...

Buy one that what U want to begin with. The ST's rides better from the GET-GO,, and there smother,

Do us/Me a favor and at least put in here what the Vell U want in U bike....

like style of riding, needs, wants, ETC.ETC.......

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oct1949
How old are U, what the Vell do U want???????????? n a bike....

I can't answer those ????? unless I have a Idea what Ur wants/needs are.!!!!!!!!!!

Look I am old but still like the looks of the new WG.. and yes I hate the swoosh of the Rear fender of the Fat Bob..........

IMO if U take the WG and change the front fender,,, pipes,,, bars and ride only solo on short rides,,, them U may be happy............

BUT,,,,,,,,,,if U want to ride on longer rides them,,, again IMO U not gonna be HAPPY.....

BY the time U change out all the stuff above I am thinking why not spend the $$$$ and get a Softail the meets all Ur needs...??????????

Why buy a new bike and change it to what U want....... And spent K's of $$$$ to get their...

Buy one that what U want to begin with. The ST's rides better from the GET-GO,, and there smother,

Do us/Me a favor and at least put in here what the Vell U want in U bike....

like style of riding, needs, wants, ETC.ETC.......
Relax Grumpy!

1: i'm 39

2: my want and needs are... to be able to just sit back and let the bike take me and my needs are just to be able to ride when i want. as for distance i dont plan to ride any farther then 2-3 hours at most. for trips to like Daytona me and a close friend are going half on a enclosed trailer for two bikes. and the style.. well of course i gotta look badazz even if i am a wuss

3" i want a softtail just for the lack of outer shocks but i dont like the looks of any of them and the rocker is WAY over priced.

I love the looks of both WG and FB but just need to figure out which scooter i want and plan the 1 change. after reading a few posts on changing out the fender on the FB seams no one has perfected it yet. yes they have done it but say its a shabby job. i would only do it if it was a clean looking swap especially if its gonna cost almost $900 and thats what they say its costing around to do the swap.

so right now im thinking on the WG and changin the front tire but i need to find some threads on this and see how that has turned out for some if any have done it.
but, then again i still havent discarded the FB LOL

Either way, one way or another ill be raising hell this summer on one of them

Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Let me tell you about the Fatbob, at least mine. In two summers I've put on 39,000 kilometers, all very comfy, through most of the Western U.S.A. I've ridden a few friends HD's, all nice bikes in there own right and none of them could handle like a Fatbob, it's the rake and that front tire, it sticks. I've had her on some really long and twisty long roads, fully loaded and it was perfect.
I may be biased but to describe the handling of a Fatbob vs a WG is like a car vs a pickup truck. The car being the Fattie.
The Wide Glide is a nice bike but it will never be what the older ones were to me and the owners of the earlier models. Those were some of the most beautiful Harleys built.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
JPL17
Cruiser

Zac- I bought the fatbob and did the rear fender swap and love it--its a very easy deal if you buy vivid black. I have a softail and a sporster and the fatbob has become my favorite bike--best handling harley in the line-up. Buy the bike and negotiate part of the deal in the purchase price. I have done more mods since these pictures--lowered the rear end 1", put in some cams and now it sounds badass and hauls ***. I also put on a Lapera bare bones seat. My advice--FATBOB.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a buddy, (He's 72 yrs old) who has a 08 WG. He changed out his triple trees for more rake and added chrome lowers. Added taller risers.

My point is, he modded it to fit his needs.
Get the one you really want and slowly change it to what you want/need.
Anyway you could test ride them? That might be all that's needed for you to know which one you want.

P.S. Ebay has some decent priced Rocker C's listed if that's what you want.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser

Found an old there here.... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...deglide-3.html
where a guy names CrustyAngel changed out the front tire ont he WG and it looks sweet. just hasnt found a fender to match. so when i buy i'm gonna plan the swap over the 2011-12 winter.
npw if April would just get here so i can start my new lifestyle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wideglide or Fatbob