General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Harley 'Discussion'

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 PM
cmvsm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Harley 'Discussion'

Ever have a bike conversation with a non-Harley rider, and the conversation suddenly veers off into a defensive posture from the other guy? Had that today with a Kawasaki Vulcan rider, where he started talking about initial Harley costs are too much, Kawasaki was a good brand, he really liked the looks of his bike, etc. Didn't really ask for any of that, it just came out.

This is the second time this has happened, and its almost like there is some kind of inferiority complex that develops in some non-Harley owners, that clearly pops out in even the most general of discussions, no matter what compliments you give to their machine.

I struggled with this a bit when I bought my bike, as I was also looking at a Honda VTX1800. Nice bike, but the plastic chrome pieces really turned me off. My wife didn't know Honda made motorcycles, only Harley. That's not saying a lot, as she knows jack nothing about cars, motorcycles, boats, etc., but she does resemble the average mindset, so that says a lot about the Harley brand, even among those who know nothing like my wife.

Anyway, just an observation.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

youll come to find this to be true.

every non-harley rider will go out of their way to defend their choice to NOT buy a harley.

no harley rider will ever offer a reason why they DIDN'T buy something else.

that, in itself, speaks volumes.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 PM
slarson
Tourer

Originally Posted by toastman
youll come to find this to be true.

every non-harley rider will go out of their way to defend their choice to NOT buy a harley.

no harley rider will ever offer a reason why they DIDN'T buy something else.

that, in itself, speaks volumes.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, people always make excusses when they buy a metric cruiser. I had a friend that called his new Yamaha a Hardley and was almost embarrassed to ride it. He soon sold it. Another buddy (a jailer) had some incarcinated chicks asking to ride behind him on his cool "Harley" when they got out, he didn't bother to tell them that it was a Kawasaki. He soon bought an Indian, but had bad luck with it, so under warrantee he got another one just like it. Then riding it to Mexico, he made it to Vegas and it blew on him. There he bought a real Harley and rode home. He's since gotten pretty hard core about Harleys. He still appreciates the looks of some metric cruisers, Indians and Victorys, but won't go back there again.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,171 Likes on 12,870 Posts

Two years ago a younger guy lost control of his metric cruiser and crashed in front of my house.I helped him get his bike into my drive and gave him some coffee while he called his dad to come and pick him up.He was wearing a vest with several patches on it,one of them was a bar&shield with the word F**K incorporated into it,kind of funny actually.He was ok but a bit shaken up,he asked me what kind of bike did I ride.Well that's my Harley there in the garage I replied,lol.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 AM
jim425
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I switched to a cruiser, there was no doubt I was going to buy a Harley. Like others have said, I don't really want to to ride a bike that people think is a Harley when it isn't.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:48 AM
georgy51
Cruiser

I agree there is nothing like a Harley ...its out on it's own .....BUT why do I argue with Harley softail owners????? ....lol...why do they think softail or nothing ...why why why ???//

Old 02-27-2011, 01:50 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually nod, sip my beer, and start talking to someone else.

Gettin in to that conversation, even if you win, is like getting a gold metal in the special olympics. Yeah you won a metal, but you're still a retard.

I'm no brand *****, I like other makes, but I'm not going to justify or argue with anyone over my choice, nor am I going to try to make anyone feel good about theirs.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Vins
Club Member

Don't care why others ride what they ride. We all know why we ride Harleys. We also know a lot of folks ride other bikes 'cause they don't want to spend the money. Many of these will eventually come around ;o) Definitely not gonna' argue about what bike is better. If you want to do 180 on the highway, you probably aren't going to buy a cruiser. If you prefer a 2 wheel car, you'll probably buy the Goldwing. Just get out and ride! Okay...when the frickin' snow melts (

Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
I usually nod, sip my beer, and start talking to someone else.

Gettin in to that conversation, even if you win, is like getting a gold metal in the special olympics. Yeah you won a metal, but you're still a retard.

I'm no brand *****, I like other makes, but I'm not going to justify or argue with anyone over my choice, nor am I going to try to make anyone feel good about theirs.
Not a great choice of word(retard)for someone competing in the "special olympics"does this exist?or are you referring to the para olympics.

Quick Reply: The Harley 'Discussion'