General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conquest gps maps

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
ss377
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conquest gps maps

I just got hold of a used Road Tech Conquest gps. It says it's loaded with Garmin City Navigator V-8. Is that the latest version? A counterman at the local HD dealership told me to go to Best Buys to purchase map upgrades for Garmin. What do you do for upgrades?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser

I have 2 Garmin quests, so I went to Garmin site and looked at my updates. I found
City Navigator North America v8, Deluxe All Regions, Apr 06 for my oldest one and
City Navigator North America 2008, Deluxe All Regions, Apr 07 for my newest one.

When I looked no updates were available for either maps.

Go to Garmin and register your quest.

Leroy

Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
ss377
Road Captain

Thanks, Leroy. Does this mean it can't be upgraded? I may go to Best Buys and ask the Nerd Squad (their name, not mine).

Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ss377
Thanks, Leroy. Does this mean it can't be upgraded? I may go to Best Buys and ask the Nerd Squad (their name, not mine).
You should hook it up to your computer, go to Garmin.com, register it, and check to see if it has the most up to date software on it. It's really easy to do yourself. Then just go back periodically and check for updates. Some are free, some cost.

Just my opinion based on experience, but do yourself a favor and don't let geek squad anywhere near it...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's right, go to Garmin. Best Buy will be a waste of time. I have a
Garmin Street Pilot III, discontinued now, but Garmin emails me whenever an update is available and they're pretty good about supporting their products well after discontinuation. Unless you live and ride in an area with a lot of new construction, you're not likely to notice much by upgrading the map software. There may also be firmware updates available, and those are definitely worth downloading since they affect the overall operation of your gps. Firmware updates are free.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I buy Garmin upgrade on Ebasy, preferably used. I also only use Garmin GPS's, so I don't know what yours needs.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ss377
Yes it looks like you have the most upto date map available. yes go to garmin to register your Gps, and check your software for it. Read up and dwnload webupdater from their sight.

Next dwnload poi loader(point of interest), as your model being a quest 2 has this option to add poi's to your memory. Read up on that next.

http://www.gpspassion.com is a site that people uploaded many Poi's example walmarts, koa campgrounds, speedtraps cameras so you can add them to your memory for different maps your create.

http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles is a good site to goto and they have a forum you can learn from.

Install mapsource in your computer and play with it selecting routes and waypoints to upload to your quest.

I create a map on mapsource of the route of my trip, but having limited data space on the Gps to store upload, If going on a main freeway I just route my end of the day stops as an individual route and try to save space for main travel if I am going to be in multiple states touring.

Take your time and don't get pissed up learning it. LOL

Leroy