General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help or advice with my unique situation!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
56Harley74
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help or advice with my unique situation!

I will try to keep this as brief as I can. My father owned a 1956 frame that had a 1974 shovelhead in it. It was titled in NY state as a 1974 Harley Davidson, the reason being they didn't stamp frames with a VIN in 1956. My parents moved to Florida and 8 months later my father passed away at age 50. He never even had time to register and title the bike in Florida.

Fast forward 3 years to 2009. My mother sent me the NY state title and the bike. This bike is extremely sentimental and important to my family and I. So I titled and registered it in NC, the state I live in. This is where it gets heartbreaking for me.. Before NC will release the title to me I have to get it inspected by the licensing and theft beurau because it is considered an antique. Sounds good to me! So I take it to their office,they inspect it and take pictures. After 30 minutes the officer returns and informs me I cannot title this as a 1974 Harley-Davidson. I asked "why?", "thats what the NY state title says." They told me that NC only titles by the frame VIN not the engine VIN. So they titled it as a 2001 custom motorcycle because that was the year my father registered it in NY. They said I could write a letter and appeal the decision, it would be voted on by a board of members, and may or may not be changed.

This really upset me. They are trying to change the whole identity of my bike. My father loved this motorcycle and was extremely proud of it as am I. It's not a bunch of after market parts and thrown together in my garage. It's genuine HD parts and fairly old. What if I moved back to NY? Would they take the NC title and call it a 2001? What if I ever sold it?(which I have no intention of). Can I still call it a HD? Would it hurt the value? When people inquire about it (which happens everytime I ride it), Do I tell them its a 2001 custom? None of this sat well with me so I wrote the letter. And I've been waiting for almost a year for a decision. It recently went before the board and they voted. I lost 3-2 votes, its a custom motorcycle...

I'm more saddened than angry with the decision. All I want is to call it a 1974 HD like NY state did. I would like something on paper that says its a HD, the antique plates would be cool too! I want to keep it nice and ride it in memory of my father. I KNOW for a fact that he would be upset with this too. I called the DMV this morning to try and get my NY title back. I don't know how I'm gonna title it yet? The woman at the DMV was rude and gave me an attitude, then proceeded to tell me the NY title might already be destroyed.If its not what else can I do? Have I exhausted all my options? Has anyone been in a similar predicament? Should I just give up and let NC call it a 2001 custom? Any help, thoughts, or suggestions would be so so greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Mike

Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,695 Likes on 6,174 Posts

'56 frame = Panhead
'74 Shovel engine

Order a vanity license plate that says "74 Pan". That'll teach 'em. In theory, they will be unwittingly acknowledging what it is. Probably get it too, since there was no such thing as a 1974 Panhead. Adds to the enigma.

Last edited by RHPAW; 03-02-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 PM
never say never
Tourer

I think your way of thinking is screwed up, get the sob titled anyway you can and leave it at that period.back in the late sixtys and thru out the seventys harleys were made up of all different parts from different bikes and seeing how the frame as no vin #people already know its a pre sixty,you must be pretty new to harleys and still cant grasp that getting the trickster titled is whats important. not going around and pissing people 0ff until they refuse to title it and making it an unuseable garage trophy

Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a piece of state-issued paper dude. It doesn't change the bike. At all. Get the title, stuff it in the back of a file cabinet, and forget about it.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throw some pics at us.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

You know what the bike is so why care about what state registration says it is.Every state is different so just be glad you can get it titled.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let them call it whatever they like on the title and then YOU call it what you want. No one will ever see the title except you unless you sell the bike, so what does it matter what they call it?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

If you ever decide to sell it, it will most likely be to someone who knows what it is and can appreciate it, not what some government beaurucrat says it is.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM
fuzzy_math
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
Its a piece of state-issued paper dude. It doesn't change the bike. At all. Get the title, stuff it in the back of a file cabinet, and forget about it.

The title only comes into play when you get stopped or if you sell it. It's a heirloom that you aren't parting with so remember pops and ride it.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
56Harley74
3rd Gear

Thank you all for the fast replies. I was under the impression what the bike was called was really important. But the general consensus here seems to be it doesn't matter. I guess it really doesnt matter I just thought it did...

Someone said pics. Do I have to be a paying member to post pics? Some forums you have to. I can post pics if you want when I get home. I'm at work right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help or advice with my unique situation!