General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Echo Quick Release for your helmet..Do you cut off your D Rings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Echo Quick Release for your helmet..Do you cut off your D Rings?

I have been using the Echo quick release for many helmets over the years and once they are installed they are virtually impossible to remove without damaging the plastic housing. So I always just bought a new quick release with the next helmet. I always left the D rings on the helmet out of some fear of maybe needing it later if I didnt like the quick release, although I always loved the quick releases and never used the d rings again. I just snagged a new helmet and really am tempted to cut the D Rings off as I already purchased the Echo quick release, and am wondering if any of you guys have removed your D Rings as well?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I have those on both my regular use helmets. I left the D-Rings. Same fear as you. Anything can break, but D-Rings will never fail....ever. Just a great back up.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, left the d-rings on all my helmets, just in case.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut the D-rings off after using the quick-release and making sure it isn't defective.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:01 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, after reading various internet reports saying that these quick releases are easily removed from one helmet to the next. I decided to give it a try and remove one from an old full face I had. Evidently my definition of easily removed and theirs are completely different. These quick releases are great and function flawlessly, however my attempt at removal has been unsuccessful. Since I have had so many of these Echo quick releases and they have all worked flawlessly, and since I cant remove them very easily I have decided that once installed on a helmet they will never be removed for anything other than replacement with the same. So.....I believe i will be removing the D rings from my latest helmet the Bell 500.

Now, I was thinking of wrapping my helmet completely in a old helmet bag, and carefully cutting the D rings with a dremel wheel. Paying close attention to the D ring heat so not to burn the nylon strap. For those who have removed their D rings ...How did you cut them off?

Thank You guys for posting regarding this matter, and your opinions. Everyone here is always so helpful.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Never had a problem removing an Echo quick release myself. Just followed directions that came with them. As far as removing D rings I used one of those big bolt cutters like the use to cut pad locks off of chains and lockers.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Never had a problem removing an Echo quick release myself. Just followed directions that came with them. As far as removing D rings I used one of those big bolt cutters like the use to cut pad locks off of chains and lockers.

+1 on the bolt cutters, we used a small set of bolt cutters on my buddies d-rings, worked great no effort what so ever.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=DOMAPOI;8037465]Never had a problem removing an Echo quick release myself. Just followed directions that came with them.

I checked my Echo package and they dont include instructions on how to remove them from your helmet, but thank you for the info on removing D rings with bolt cutters.

Originally Posted by Grummpy Bear
+1 on the bolt cutters, we used a small set of bolt cutters on my buddies d-rings, worked great no effort what so ever.
That is the method I will use. I will keep an eye out today when stopping at various locations for a set of bolt cutters layin around. Thanks Guys

Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can i get a set of these?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Well, after reading various internet reports saying that these quick releases are easily removed from one helmet to the next. I decided to give it a try and remove one from an old full face I had. Evidently my definition of easily removed and theirs are completely different. These quick releases are great and function flawlessly, however my attempt at removal has been unsuccessful. Since I have had so many of these Echo quick releases and they have all worked flawlessly, and since I cant remove them very easily I have decided that once installed on a helmet they will never be removed for anything other than replacement with the same. So.....I believe i will be removing the D rings from my latest helmet the Bell 500.

Now, I was thinking of wrapping my helmet completely in a old helmet bag, and carefully cutting the D rings with a dremel wheel. Paying close attention to the D ring heat so not to burn the nylon strap. For those who have removed their D rings ...How did you cut them off?

Thank You guys for posting regarding this matter, and your opinions. Everyone here is always so helpful.
Bolt cutters.

Quick Reply: Echo Quick Release for your helmet..Do you cut off your D Rings?