General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar tightning on a Roadking Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:22 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Handlebar tightning on a Roadking Classic

I have an 06 RKC and my handlebars are loose. I was looking and can't figure out how to get the chrome piece off above the handlebars to tighten the bolts. I think its something to with where the locking key goes, but don't know. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

If it's stock, you have to pull the headlamp nacelle, the trim ring around the fork lock pops off and there are 3 screws underneath that have to be removed as well. I highly recommend you pick up a shop manual for your bike; makes everything much easier.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...And in order to pull the nacelle, you need to remove the headlight trim ring (a PITA), then the headlight comes out. There's a speed nut holding the "Spear" trim on the top of the nacelle, that comes off, too. Then you can pull the screws under the fork lock trim ring. The nacelle & riser cover come off after that.

Make sure not to over-tighten the riser bolts.

This is VERY IMPORTANT:
If you are using bars that are larger than stock in any way, like bigger diameter, or taller, or whatever, MAKE SURE there's a one-piece riser clamp, not two pieces.
The flex & extra strain caused by higher leverage & heavier bars can cause your bars to break right between the risers. This happened to me! Thank God I was only backing out of the driveway, and not motoring down the highway!
And, let me tell you, picking up a Road King with broken handle bars is a LOT more difficult than you'd think!

Good luck & keep us posted!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

i talked to a friend of mine that works at a bike shop. He is going to do it for me so i don't scracth the chrome and so I don't break the bolts. Suppossedly he said it will be done in 5 minutes. Thanks guys for your help though

Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

5 minutes, prob not. there is a lot more that goes into it. prob looking at 30 for disassembly and 30 for reassembly, then since he is a friend gotta add at least 30 for BS time. if you show up with a 6 pack like any good friend would, might as well round up to 2 maybe 3 hrs for drinking and bs-ing.

Hope you didn't have plans tonight.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM
CrabbyPaddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by albatross
if it's stock, you have to pull the headlamp nacelle, the trim ring around the fork lock pops off and there are 3 screws underneath that have to be removed as well. I highly recommend you pick up a shop manual for your bike; makes everything much easier.
+ 1. ..

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

I just recently replaced the rubber bushings on my 98 RK. The originals are rubber,replacements are urethane. Unless theres a difference between your RK and mine,which I don't think so,all I did was remove 2 screws on the side of the fork lock and the chrome cover comes right off. You'll have to turn your wheel side to side to get to the riser bolts. Took me about 30 minutes and thats only because the new bushings are harder to get back in. The picture shows the chrome cover and key lock cover.
I can't imagine having to remove the nacelle(which by the way was what the local Indy told metoo)

Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While you are in there you might as well upgrade to the urethane bushings.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 PM
mtinner
Road Master

so, is rocketman correct?

Old 03-26-2011, 04:40 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

When you take out the 2 riser bolts,pay attention to the washers on the bottom side.You may have one larger one on the right side which I think plays into the locking part.
The new bushings are kinda a pain and you might wanna use a little lube.I just used the washers and slowly tightened until the bushings seated,then loosened it back up,installed the risers and tightened everything back to specs.