General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The MoCo is dripping anniversary models starting in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jwlehman
A ton of money? To who?
The seller.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
I guess all those people who bought the 100th and 105 models were right after all.They are going to be collector items,and worth a ton of money.
Guess I am trying to figure how a special paint job and medallion will ever translate to "big" money. And they made what some 300K units. Think you might be waiting a very long time for a return on your "investment".

Just do not see how an otherwise normal bike could/will ever translate to a big ticket item along the lines of something like a 36 Knuckle and a few other later models where MoCo was intent on improving the design, engine, frame and ride characteristics and capabilities.

Even with that said there are exceptions for whatever reason... limited production and oddities like the Shovel Boatails and Heritage Edition models.

Obviously there are others...

Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lohawg
Maybe they will ask some regular people to vote on the color schemes, or maybe even put different colors on bikes for that model. I can't remember any I've liked yet, was it gold/brown?? beige and something? Or better yet, knock it off, we've passed the big 100, what is the point until at least 50 more years.
A few months ago I was asked about color likes and dislikes and was able to provide my preferences as a member of the HD Advisory Panel.

Anyone can sign up and you receive a monthly web based survey via email asking your opinion on many different aspects of the MoCo from marketing considerations to bike preferences to color schemes.

Sign up from the HD website if you would like to participate. Each survey takes from 10-15 minutes and while they "pick your brain" with some tick a box questions, other questions require written input via a text box.

I guess it's an opportunity to have your say-- along with a hundred thousand or more other "Advisors". I find it interesting anyway...

Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

In the "For What Its Worth" catagory. This information concerns the 2003 anniversary edition model year;

"Before the opening bell, Milwaukee-based Harley (HDI: news, chart, profile) reported net income of $202 million, or 66 cents per share. That is up from the $144.3 million and 47 cents of a year ago and handily above the 58-cents consensus estimate of analysts polled by Thomson First Call.

The profit figures are a company record, Harley said, as were revenues, which climbed almost 22 percent to $1.22 billion.

"Our U.S. dealer network sold more motorcycles in this quarter than in any other quarter in our 100-year history," said CEO Jeffrey Bleustein in the earnings release. "Retail sales grew more than 14 percent compared with last year and outpaced our wholesale shipments by over 11,000 units."

Revenue from motorcycles was $955.4 million, up 25.7 percent, as worldwide shipments rose 16 percent to 76,025 units.

The company beat its second quarter production target by 600 units, and is bumping it full year target from 290,000 to 290,600 - a 10.2 percent jump over last year."

Now, Rumor has it that the Luxury Rich Red Pearl models were the rarest. However, I'm to lazy to confirm or deny the rumor.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 'Bones is worth a ton of money to me!

To others, eh... not so much...

Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 AM
robbieaz62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the '03s all over the place in the Phoenix area. There's no way those will ever be rare enough to be worth anything more than any other similar bike.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never understood the "investment" thing.... be it car, truck, or motorcycle... those that think this way tend to leave it in the garage and not use it.. and that seems blasphemy to me. I mean, it's got wheels on it, so it's meant to be ridden.

Nothings sadder than a 2003 HD with 50 miles on it.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Guy I know has a 95th FL serial #1 of whatever they made, I think it's less than 1,000 and only has 7,000 miles on it.

Last summer he decided he was going to sell it for a bunch money.....He still has it. Found out you can pick em up on ebay all day for less than $10,000.00

Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was either April Fool, or it means they ran out of ideas for ugly paint schemes.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sadly "Anniversary" model means nothing. It has become a joke. Now every 5 years you can expect it to be another anniversary year. It didn't used to be that way, but that is what it has become.

For what it's worth, I owned a 100th year anniversary Ultra Classic. It was a great bike, but just like all the rest. Aside from the paint scheme there wasn't anything unique that made it a collectors bike. I think if Harley ended it there and stopped producing anniversary bikes every 5 years, then the bike would surely appreciate over time. Something like a 25th or 50th anniversary bike makes a lot more sense and would ensure those that own those bikes would see a nice increase in value. But lets be clear on something...Harley doesn't crank out anniversary bikes every 5 years to benefit the collectors among us, it's pure profit driven. Nothing wrong with making a profit, but this marketing ploy of theirs has become lame, because it's so patently obvious. A quick read through this thread should point out to somebody in Milwaukee what Harley owners think of the idea.

One last thing...the bike I'm riding in the picture below is an '08 which happens to be anniversary year. You'll notice I didn't buy the super duper, whippity dippity doo, limited, special edition, highly exclusive "anniversary model."

Last edited by tda69; 06-30-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: The MoCo is dripping anniversary models starting in 2013