General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM
madelf
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike fit

I'm looking at getting a Harley for my next bike. Right now I've got an old '80 Yamaha 850.

I'm torn on what bike to choose. My wallet says a Sportster 883 custom. I figure it would be enough power as I don't ride hard and won't likely be spending much time on the interstates. I could go to a 1200 just to be on the safe side, and not end up wishing I had more get up & go. But I'm worried about the size of the bike. I'm a big guy (okay a fat-***), at 5'10 and about 275lbs & built wide in the shoulders. The Sportster doesn't seem like a very big bike, and I don't want to get the trained bear on a bicycle look going on. Would I look silly on a Sportster?

I'm also drawn to the Dyna Street Bob, which feels like a bigger bike (though I'm not sure it really is, much, as the specs list the wheelbase as less than 4 inches longer than the Sportster custom, and the tank volume is about the same. I'm thinking it's mostly the extra weight of the bigger engine that makes it feel heftier). But I'd have to change out the ape-hangers (and I'm happy with the feel of the bars on the Sportster). I'm also not all that experienced at riding yet, so I wonder if the extra weight is a great idea. The Sportser only ways a few pounds more than what I have now, but the Bob felt rather heavy picking it up off the stand.

Price is not really a big issue (stinginess aside) as I could afford either one. I also hear the Sportsters handle better than the Dyna, so that sounds like a plus. The Dyna is supposed to be a smoother ride, but with the rubber-mount engine in the Sportsters and the fairly low seat height of the custom, along with weighing in the neighborhood of 600lbs - I can't imagine the Sportster is a particularly rough ride.

I haven't found much in the way of reviews that compare the two side by side. Everything is talking about one or the other, and make them both sound perfect. So I don't really know how to compare them. The dealerships don't do test rides, and there's no place to rent them around here, so I can't really compare first hand.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-18-2006, 01:20 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,841 Likes on 8,408 Posts
Default RE: bike fit

Sports type bike at 275lbs, just doesn't go together there madeIf. I hope ya ain't ridin it where ya lay over the tank with yer butt up in the air.

Ya need a hog. I'm 6'4" and 260 and people don't realize it's an 88 until I get off the bike. It just looks small under me.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Get the biggest bike you feel comfortable on. I'm just under 6', weigh in at around 240. My 'glide is perfect.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
madelf
Tourer

Heh... no sport bike for me, and no butt-crack in the air. Even the Yamaha is a cruiser.

So that's a vote for the Bob then, I take it?

I'd probably need a Road King to look normal-sized on a bike, but that ain't happening. Some things just cost too much for my cheapo instincts to handle.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

if you ultimately decide on a sporty, i would recommend the 1200- definitely. ive known a few guys who bought the 883 (just getting into riding) and they upgraded within a year.

if you can afford a big twin- go for it.

and- if you can handle a sporty (weight wise)- youll have no problem with a big twin. hell, there are guys who i work with that are skinny little dudes who ride Road Kings.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:03 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sit on some, test ride some, even if a used one of same model. Buy the best that fits you, that you can aford.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
madelf
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence
there are guys who i work with that are skinny little dudes who ride Road Kings.
I don't know.
I've met some skinny little dudes who were pretty darn ruggged. Heck the salesman at the dealership was a little guy. When I pushed a Wide Glide out into the isle so I could get on it, I felt like I was pushing something (not something I couldn't handle, but I definitely wanted my feet planted when I picked it off the stand). After I was done, he just grabbed the thing by the forks and shoved it back into line like it was a child's tricycle. I was rather impressed.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM
madelf
Tourer

ORIGINAL: KeithB

sit on some, test ride some, even if a used one of same model. Buy the best that fits you, that you can aford.
From what I've heard, the dealers in this area don't allow test drives (though I haven't pressed the issue yet).

I've considered a road trip to PA, as there's a rental place there. They don't have a Bob, but they've got a Wide Glide. That would probably give me the general feel for a Dyna. Strangely they don't have Sportsters for rent, though.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 1200 C and am 5'10, 175 lbs. I fit but honestly think the bike is too small for you. Get the biggest Harley that you're comfortable on. Dyna isn't that much bigger. Check out the bigger soft tails like the Heritage Classic or the big baggers.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'0" and weigh in at a whopping 145 lbs. (picture me on an EG classic it's funny) I've ridden a twin cam era bike from every family, I have ridden a street bob and I know you will be more comfortable on that than a sportster

Quick Reply: bike fit