General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar advice/help please..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Handlebar advice/help please..

Right now i'm running the factory fatboy bars and the HD 4" riser with a 1.5 curve/pullback to them. i've realized that the bars are not wide enough for me. mainly the grips are "turned in" too much making the palm of my right hurt from the pressure.

looking at all the different bars out there is mind boggling to say the least, and most sites don't have 1.25 bars anyways. i've went to the local HD shop and i get the impression they would rather not deal with a comfort issue.. they do have a rack(besides the t-shirt girl) there with different bars and the 12" mini apes seem to be the ticket.. one thing.. well 299 things.. thats a lot of coin for a bar and useless riser's that i have to have because the bars a 1.25 bar.. yeah my stock bars are 1.25, that doesn't matter, can't buy the bar any other way. if that price included cables and wire extensions then it would be justified.. i asked the guy if i would need new cables if i went back to my stock risers.. i got the typical response.. I DUNNO....

anyways.. sorry to be long winded...

i guess my question is has anyone here put the mini-apes on and able to use the stock cables and does anyone else have any suggestions on the type of bar that would have more turn out at the grip end to get rid of this aching hand.

if the stock bar was turned out more and another 3" in rise it would be perfect. i'm having a hard time correlating the turn out to pull back, width and center section.

to me a wider center section with the same overall width would have a closer turn in, vs a narrow center section with a wider width overall.. is that right ?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

There are plenty of aftermarket options for 12" apes that are a bit less expensive as well. And, you will be able to use your stock risers as they are stepped down for the 1" risers. I like the Wild 1 12" apes for comfort. They are great. As far as stock cables with 12" apes? Not going to happen buddy. Burly makes and affordable cables and wiring kit that will fit the bill if you are trying to keep costs down. Shoot me an email DREW@DRVTWIN.COM or PM here and I will get you pricing and all.

Drew

Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

i don't have stepped down bars.. its 1.25 all the way.. thats what made the 4" risers so damm expensive, well the HD had something to do with it.. LOL..

the stock riser is only about 1.5-2" tall, but 1.25 dia..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

I have HD fat Mini Apes on both bikes. The chrome is excellent & they are solid bars. If you get them online at 20% off the price isn't bad with risers. I like the idea of not having the bars stepped down for the risers. They are very comfortable too.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

i like the sound of 20% off..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
they do have a rack(besides the t-shirt girl) there with different bars and the 12" mini apes seem to be the ticket.. one thing.. well 299 things.. thats a lot of coin for a bar and useless riser's that i have to have because the bars a 1.25 bar.. yeah my stock bars are 1.25, that doesn't matter, can't buy the bar any other way.
Did you try Ebay? I just bought a set of HD 12" mini-apes, with risers and Kuryakyn widow grips for $100. That included shipping of course. Took 2 days to get them and put them on my bike last night. They were 1", however. But there are plenty of 1.25" bars available.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks.. i'll look there also.. i'm a little leary of fleabay.. my brother in law has had some issues with getting ripped on parts..

it seems the consensus is you folks like the mini apes.. i found some 8" and 10" mini -mini apes on the burly site.. i'm thinking the 10's may be just right.. i'm pretty sure the factorys are a 6" rise.. so the 10's should do it.. i don't want to go to crazy.

if i take the 4" rise off with the factory risers and 10" bars it should put me right back where i am with the more turned out grip.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Height is a very personal choice. I bought my ride with 12" apes and about 2 weeks alter decided I wanted 16"'s.

Drew

Old 04-21-2011, 10:06 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
i like the sound of 20% off..

http://lshd1.com or http://shop.zanottimotor.com/content/search-part-number

Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your dealer (parts or service) and see if they have any take offs available, usually they will let you have them for cheep. I know lots of people who have done this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handlebar advice/help please..