General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doherty Machine No More?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Crusty369
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Doherty Machine No More?????

Doherty Machine No More???????
Anyone have any insight on what the status of Doherty Machine is? Tim, the owner, unfortunately passed away at the end of March. 2 weeks prior, he had called me about my 58mm Power Pacc. I had lent him my new 58mm SE TB so that he could manufacture a PowerPacc specifically for larger builds. Being very patient, I didn't get on his case about having my TB for over 8 months, due to the fact that I am still a few items short of being ready to put my scoot in with Wolfgang for my next build. He called, apologized for the delay, and assured me my TB and PowerPacc would be on their way to me in short order.
I was unaware he had passed away until 5 days ago. Nothing posted on their site, mo industry news releases, etc. Seems that for some reason, his son is keeping his passing as low profile as possible.
I am sorry for their loss, but am agitated by the fact that you cannot reach the company by phone, and they are not returning emails, etc.
Anyone who has any info, or a way to contact them that can offer some insight would be greatly appreciated.
Tim was a great guy that always went the extra mile fir his customers. He truly enjoyed what he did, and it showed every time u spoke with him about his products, or the products of others that he believed in.
I hope his son Josh keeps that in mind before he makes an inappropriate decision in regards to existing customers that have been left flapping in the wind.....
2006 FXWGI, SE 95 BB kit, (2005) Ported heads, Wood TW6-6 Knight Prowler cams w/+4 gear, D&D Fatcat SB, TMAT, Thunderheart speedo, Doherty PowerPacc w/Power Vents, LePera Silhouette 2 up, HD 3" fat risers, Arnott adjustable air-ride with on-board Compressor (9.5-12.0in), RWD Maltese Cross Billet headlight, 3 degree tree cups, Billet re-usable oil filter with 35 micron surgical steel screen, Kuryakyn +3" fwd control extension kit, 2" tank lift, AGI Jugg & oil cooler fans, Lick's Solo Bag..

The following users liked this post:
SilentRider (08-15-2022)
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM
fatboi1959
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crusty 369,
I'm having a similar experience with Doherty Machine and would have to say that it does not look good. I ordered a power pacc for an HPI 58 from Tim himself on March 14 and he immediately charged my card. I called after i received word of Tim passing and they re-assured me it was going to be shipped any day. I sent them an e-mail on the 26th of April with all my contact imfo ect. and still no reply. Now when you call the number on the website as you know, there is a recording saying your not authorized to call ect. I just got off the phone with my credit card company and stopped payment. Too bad, i really wanted their product.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:06 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, this is sad news. Unlike many others, his air cleaner produced usable additional power at all rpm levels, not just at WOT.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Crusty369
Advanced
Default Wtf!!!!

These guys have went off the grid....I have been calling vendors, other local businesses, and even the police department....
Doesn't look good.
They are MIA...
Other vendors have not heard from them, either.
Really sucks. Tim was the real deal....Little eccentric, perhaps, but he still tried to service the customer, and was a blast to talk to. Unfortunate that his reputation and legacy are potentially going to be destroyed because the other folks with his company apparently don't care.
Not the first time I've been ripped, and sure it won't be the last. Actually more upset about how his son is taking a royal dump on a good man's life's work.....(;~((

Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe there's a forum member that lives in the area and is willing to stop at the shop for some info. Where is Dougherty located?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Their Web Site says, Prescott Arizona.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Crusty369
Advanced
Default Something rotten in Denmark "Prescott"

Not registered with the chamber of commerce. No response to the state of Arizona.
According to the police department in Prescott, moved to Prescott Valley. Prescott Valley police say their address is in Prescott....
Unprofessional, unethical.....
Really sucks.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

IronAss lives there but he may be on the road.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

I needed a part for my powerpacc and took a chance. Called them Friday June 17th around 1:00 PM at 800-956-9409 and a guy named Ryan answered the phone. Ordered the parts I needed and they showed up at my door today Monday June 20th.

Hmmmm, maybe they're back. Good service for me in any case.

Crazy

Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I checked a week ago or so, and their web site is up and running again. It doesn't mention anything about "Tim" passing away, and it reads like he's still there.

http://www.dohertymachine.com/

However, here's his obit:

Obituary: Timothy Doherty

Timothy Joseph Doherty, born Aug. 14, 1945, in Los Angeles, Calif., to Joseph and Angela (Tamp) Doherty, has passed away at his home in Prescott, AZ.

Tim grew up in Southern Calif. where he was a dirt contractor for many years and then followed in his father's footsteps to become a great machinist.

Tim and his son, Josh, own and operate Doherty Machine, which makes innovated parts for Harley Davidson motorcycles. He was very well known in the motorcycle world. His brilliant accomplishments will never be forgotten. Josh will continue his father's legacy.

Tim's greatest achievement was making a world record of speed at 207.715 mph on his Harley Davidson VROD at Bonneville last year on his birthday. He was a true racing fanatic. Throughout his whole life, Tim raced flat track motocross, midgets and sprint cars.

He is survived by his three children: daughters, Ashley Doherty and Sierra Kirkpatrick of Southern Calif.; son, Josh (Michelle) Doherty of Prescott, Ariz.; seven grandchildren, Spencer, Riley, Peyton, Presley, Jamisen, Breann and Kamden; mother, Angie of Southern Calif.; two sisters, Jo Ann Jensen of Oregon and Sharon Chistofferson of Southern Calif.; uncle, Jerry Doherty, aunt, Betty Doherty, aunt, Cleo Doherty and family, cousin, Connie (Kern) Kendall, cousin, Jim (Midge) Thomas and family, all of Prescott, Ariz., and numerous other family and friends that loved him. His father, Joseph, preceded him.

A private gathering will be on Saturday, April 2, 2011.

Hampton Funeral Home was entrusted with arrangements. Please share your condolences at www.hamptonfuneralhome.com.

Information provided by survivors.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 06-20-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Doherty Machine No More?????