General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brown Fork Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:33 AM
brianmz1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown Fork Oil?

I was replacing the lowers on my FXSTC and while draining the R fork the oil ran out a dark brown color. In contrast the L fork was the exepcted Red color fliud. Also the amount from the R fork was probably about a oz less than the L fork.

A friend thought that maybe it was from water intrusion into the fork and the brown was from rust. I dont know about that. There is no leak on either fork. The dust and oil seals look good so Im not sure as to what caused the oil to turn browm.

I plan to check the fork oil after about 2K miles or so and see if it has changed color again. Anyone have any thoughts or experienced this before?

I bought the bike used (1yr) and this is the first fork oil change as far as I know.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Could very well be the previous owner did something.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

Good idea to reinspect in 2K mileage.

Thoughts: Brown could be a fiber washer that is wearing. If grey I would be swaying toward a metal washer wearing - that color I have seen. Rust from water intrusion I am not sure as I would think you would find some oil traces at the spot it is leaking, yet possible. If you have airforks maybe water instrusion from the air compressor/ gas station air pump.

Did the previous owner install aftermarket springs? That would be major suspect as to what may have happened.

If brown again, I am sorry to write you have to more than likely remove and disassemble the fork to diagnose.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fork oil cooks. A lot of people don't change it or change it enough. I would change it again and look at the color again in a few thousand miles or six months. Whichever comes first. You don't know if previous owner used two types of oil. This is what I do on both of my HD's. I change the fork oil twice a year. Might be overkill but the fork oil always looks and smells like it got real hot.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My left fork goes through seals about every 2 years. The oil in the left fork is black as used motor oil while the right fork is nice and red. The right fork seal holds up. There is no visible damage I can see with the left side but it is what it is for whatever reason. I deal with it and change them when it starts leaking.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Oil turns dark from contamination...normal. Do nothing unless your fork is leaking.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:33 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Oil turns dark from contamination...normal. Do nothing unless your fork is leaking.
I'd change the fork oil again in about 5k miles to be sure. As others have said, the oil will heat up the more you ride and the more the oil is forced through the damper.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is normal for it to turn color. Mine comes out black.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Cudaman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another fork oil story

Update... 300ml came out of both. One fork had blood red oil, the other had brown and ran like water. Hahahahaha guess it was built on Friday. 2013 RG Custom, 1100 miles

Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Very likely there was a fork seal problem that was repaired by a dealer under warranty. They put new oil only in the side that was repaired which explains the difference in oil colors.
Happened to a bud and we found it when he came over to have me do some service maintenance for him.

Quick Reply: Brown Fork Oil?