General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a call from HD

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Got a call from HD

A few weeks back I bought a smart siren II for my 2010 Ultra and the dealer had to order it. When I got it, the instructions for the install were for 2002 FL models and older and were incorrect for my 2010. Wasn't a huge issue, but this struck me as something that HD could have accidently overlooked so I dropped them an email on it.

This afternoon the phone rang in my office and the number was a 414 area listed as Harley Davidson. Shonuff, one of their service reps was asking me about my problem and in the process I found out that my instructions were dated 2005 and 2010 were the latest. So either someone had some really old inventory sitting around or someone grabbed the wrong instructions sheets at HD. Either way I was told they are going to spot check their inventory to make sure it isn't on their end.

I'm pretty impressed that HD would take the time and energy on something this minor, although maybe not so minor for someone who can't figure out how to install the siren, but on the overall scale of corporate life, this is little. Shows a strong commitment to quality.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a shame they don't have that commitment to quality on major issues.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
It's a shame they don't have that commitment to quality on major issues.
Why would you own a Harley Davidson if that is your belief?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have no complaints with the moco or my dealer...prices are high, quality is good, and the dealer takes care of me like he appreciates my business. nothing is perfect but they get an "a" for effort.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan conner
i have no complaints with the moco or my dealer...prices are high, quality is good, and the dealer takes care of me like he appreciates my business. nothing is perfect but they get an "a" for effort.
+1........

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait till you have a $3 piece fail that almost costs you and your wife your lives, when they could have spent $5 and had no problem. It's called a linkage rod end if you're keeping score, and if you search the forums you'll see it's common for them to wear out and fail without warning because they use a cheap design. It can be fixed with a $10 bill and a trip to the hardware store.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

So far, four to two in favor of Harley. Make that now five to two. I have owned Harleys and had dealings with their dealers going back to the AMF days and I have never been disappointed. Perhaps I have been lucky but it has been a very enjoyable experience over the past thirty-three plus years.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Wait till you have a $3 piece fail that almost costs you and your wife your lives, when they could have spent $5 and had no problem. It's called a linkage rod end if you're keeping score, and if you search the forums you'll see it's common for them to wear out and fail without warning because they use a cheap design. It can be fixed with a $10 bill and a trip to the hardware store.
there is not one part on a hd, or anything else for that matter, that can not be 'upgraded' with a better, more expensive part. but by the time you get done doing that, you've got $150,000 in your bike.

and for every linkage rod that failed, there are a whole bunch more that haven't. i've never had one fail, but i've gone ahead and changed mine out to heim joints anyway.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,420 Likes on 4,724 Posts

Originally Posted by mswmn
+1........

Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
there is not one part on a hd, or anything else for that matter, that can not be 'upgraded' with a better, more expensive part. but by the time you get done doing that, you've got $150,000 in your bike.

and for every linkage rod that failed, there are a whole bunch more that haven't. i've never had one fail, but i've gone ahead and changed mine out to heim joints anyway.
Speaking of upgrades, I don't appreciate spending $240 + tax on a SE Ventilator intake only to find out it pukes oil. When I called customer service their only response was that I must have overfilled it... I don't think so. This is not an "uncommon" problem and MOCO has known about it for some time now and to the best of my knowledge they have done nothing to correct it.

Quick Reply: Got a call from HD