General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A queston for those of you that Jockey.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts
Default A queston for those of you that Jockey.

Waiting on a Jockey shift kit that I ordered from the Doc and have a question for those of you that have been running them for awhile.

I had a concern about the handle just kind of hangin out there in the breeze and vibrating around. I'm thinking it puts some undue stress on the shift shaft seal, which seems to me could cause it to leak over time.

I talked to a guy a La Briola yesterday and he assured me that as long as I keep all the mounting bolts for the shift handle tight I will not have any problem with it.

I can't remember how much more he said the tank shift was but do remember it being north of $140.00 extra. This makes me think he is being straight up with me by telling me "no worry's" regarding the Jockey handle.

However....I still feel the need to ask.................Any of you that have been using one for a few years had any problem with the shift shaft seal leaking?

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have a Labroilla but when I made mine, I was concerned about the shift shaft as well. I ran a straight shift lever for a while but it vibrated too much so I changed to a tank shift(kinda). It actually mounts to the center motor mount.

Attached Thumbnails A queston for those of you that Jockey.-new-shifter-setup.jpg  
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Been running a LaBriola for awhile. Same thing initially concerned me. It ain't like the old jockey tops and levers or the old hand-shift tops on the 4 speeds. But my original 5-speed tranny never leaked, and so far the Baker isn't leaking, either.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just don't screw a heavy *** handle on the end and you will be fine. they don't move around like you would think they do . when you install it and run , reach down there and feel it , you will find its steady , even more steady than a lot of bikes I have seen that the shifter pedal moves around so much it moves the tranny lever.
knock on wood , no leaks for me either.
I don't care for tank shift bikes , never felt smooth, where just dropping my hand down and being on the shifter feels natural

Old 05-18-2011, 11:23 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on not adding a heavy **** on the end. I have two shifters-- one is the usual "under the left buttcheek" model and the other is a tank shift; I switch them out usually once a month. I run an old ivory-colored Hurst 4-speed shift ball on the buttcheek model to keep the weight down.

That said, in looking at your the picture of your bike in your sig, I see that you are running an old school pedestal-type seat-- will you be able to reach the jockey lever since you are sitting so high up? It would seem to me that a LaBriola or a similar tank shift setup like the one I run (see pic below) would work a little better given your seating position which appears to be higher and further forward than stock.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far, puts my mind at ease. TRacer, thats a good point, something I hadn't even thought about. We'll see if it's an issue when it shows up.