General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Compensator Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Compensator Question

OK

Just trying to educate myself. I will be looking to purchase a motorcycle soon.

Really, these are sincere questions.

I have been looking on the internet about different issues you guys have had with your bikes on this forum.

Compensator- Ok, from what I have read, it works with the primary chain. Does the compensator effect the shifting of the bike in to getting into different gears ? or is it more have to do with the transmission allowing the bike to move/drive ?

From what I read, people hear a rattling, that is one of the signs of a bad compensator. Is this true ?

If this piece fails, does it do catastrophic damage to the rest of the bike or does it just leave you stranded ?

There was a troll on this board a few weeks ago mentioning some "Bearing" that breaks and causes damage to the bike, is this related to the compensator issue ?

Is there some warning signs that I could look for as to prevent any damage from either part ?

Like I said, this is a sincere questions, I want to take extremely great care to my next bike purchase and get to know the bike well.

So if there a periodic checks I can do to save me grief, and catch things before it gets out of control.

Thanks

Last edited by mi2az; 05-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Front compensator went out at 30,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty. When it went it tore up the alternator rotor, which was replaced at the time. I am a very easy driver ( my rear tires last 20,000 miles) and changed all fluids as per recomendations. Just luck of the draw I guess. I have had no more problems and have 70,000 on my 08 now. The symptoms were clanging and loud jerking when starting, sounded just like a bad starter gear. I'm thinking of installing a Screaming Eagle compensator this winter. The bearing you are thinking about is probley the tranny mainshaft bearing, This also went out on me and was replaced under warranty at 50,000 miles. It's symtoms were chattering that quit when the clutch was pulled in.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Our 07 has 31k on her and I've not had One issue with anything on the motor.. Only once I had a missing out issue, After checking her out both bolts on the battery cables wasn't tight. tightened them and no more missing.

Read in here to and I did have the tuner back off the timing at 0 throttle at start up with the SERT. its never had the clunk at start up since then. And never rattled riding.

I've read also in here that lugging is whats hard on the motor.. I'll ride around 2k in 2nd,3rd,4th. but like to stay above 2300 in 5th and 6th.

As far as the tranny bearing issue,, I am sure some has have problems..
But IMO we don't really know how those who do ride. I mean hard and fast or normal.
Even in my younger days with the GTO's, SS396's, 442's, I never tore out any trannys or rear ends,, but those who raced all the time did..
So it makes a big diff on how U treat Ur bike as to the troulbe U have..
Ride like its made for, Burn outs and high rpm's down shifts is what I've read is the hardest thing one can do to a Harley. Softails more so with the balancers.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 AM
pedallingfool
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy yourself a new bike or at least one that comes with a warranty. Your going to worry yourself to death if this is just the beginning worrying about the compensator. On the 2011 tourers they come with the SE compensator upgrade. Listen to the bike, if you hear something out of the ordinary have the service dept. take a look at it.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pedallingfool
Buy yourself a new bike or at least one that comes with a warranty. Your going to worry yourself to death if this is just the beginning worrying about the compensator. On the 2011 tourers they come with the SE compensator upgrade. Listen to the bike, if you hear something out of the ordinary have the service dept. take a look at it.

I am more worried about not noticing or recognizing potential problems. I have read on this form that these are issues that can happen. I just like to know what to hear for and feel for.

I have been riding my Metric Bike for ten years and the Starter Assembly Cluth went out. I did not know it was an "Known Issue" for this bike. If I did, and new what to look for before it died, I could of either trade it in or at least get the ball rolling on ordering the replacement parts. So now, I am without a bike for 2 weeks. It will take 7-10 days to get the 500.00 part in and 90.00 to replace it.

So I decided it is time to get a newer bike, and looking at a touring HD. Yes, I want one new enough that it has a warranty.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:40 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Our 07 has 31k on her and I've not had One issue with anything on the motor.. Only once I had a missing out issue, After checking her out both bolts on the battery cables wasn't tight. tightened them and no more missing.

Read in here to and I did have the tuner back off the timing at 0 throttle at start up with the SERT. its never had the clunk at start up since then. And never rattled riding.

I've read also in here that lugging is whats hard on the motor.. I'll ride around 2k in 2nd,3rd,4th. but like to stay above 2300 in 5th and 6th.

As far as the tranny bearing issue,, I am sure some has have problems..
But IMO we don't really know how those who do ride. I mean hard and fast or normal.
Even in my younger days with the GTO's, SS396's, 442's, I never tore out any trannys or rear ends,, but those who raced all the time did..
So it makes a big diff on how U treat Ur bike as to the troulbe U have..
Ride like its made for, Burn outs and high rpm's down shifts is what I've read is the hardest thing one can do to a Harley. Softails more so with the balancers.
I'm thinking not in this case. I've probley got close to 750,000 miles on motorcycles in my 50 years of riding, (by my best calculations) So I think I know how to ride. While I was a little racy in my younger days. I'm an Easy rider now. Like I said I get over 20,000 miles on a rear tire. My last three Harleys before I got my 08 I have had NO troubles with.(shovel,evo,evo) I put over 90,000 mi.on each. These new models have real problems. From faulty fuel pumps to compensators, tranny main shaft bearings, fairing brackets, cam chain tensioners, steering problems and the old overheating thing. The MOCO keeps putting band-aids on a bad design.

Last edited by honestbob; 05-19-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member

Went to another forum and found this post. It was posted back in 2007.

(see Below)

(Begin 2007 Post)
The noise was getting quite loud and I got my bike in to the dealer this weekend. Interesting what they found - there was a mainshaft seal leak. When they opened it up, they found that the primary chain was not installed correctly at the factory. The chain was only riding halfway on the clutch basket guide sprockets, causing the basket to torque while under a load. This torque is what caused the shaft bearing failure. Anyway, they got it fixed in a few hours and I'm back on the road again. Nothing like quality control on the HD assembly line.
(End 2007 Post)

That was my Compensator question. For $300.00, if replacing the compensator with an SE Compensator, does this cure 2 problems with one fix ? Or is the Bearing issue completely separate and not even related.

If so, a 300.00 fix to stop a potential problem is worth the piece of mind. If all I would be doing is spending 300.00 needlessly, then it a moot point and then I just need to listen a be aware of the sounds from the bike.

Last edited by mi2az; 05-19-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
I'm thinking not in this case. I've probley got close to 750,000 miles on motorcycles in my 50 years of riding, (by my best calculations) So I think I know how to ride.
These new models have real problems. From faulty fuel pumps to compensators, tranny main shaft bearings, fairing brackets, cam chain tensioners, steering problems and the old overheating thing. The MOCO keeps putting band-aids on a bad design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My statements was in general. Sorry, if U took it personally. I wasn't referring to anyone ability's to ride, No doubt some may have real problems that treated their bikes reasonably.
But I do believe some problems are brought on by the way some treat there ride, by that I mean, 5,000 rpms all the time and wind it out every time.. One can be a good rider and still be really hard on the motor.
I've seen some who ride that way. Again no reference to U, just my opinion.

I've only been riding for 47yrs so U got me in that department..

Like one member in here a couple weeks ago, complaining bout down-shifting into first wasn't smooth.. When asked at what speed, said he usually down-shifts into 1st at 30-40 mph..

If U've had all the above problems its the worse I ever heard of so far on one bike..
Wonder how many miles U have on Urs..?

Will add the STG1 and cams got rid of our heat issues and I really haven't heard of anyone who's had tensioner's issues on a 96er like the 88's have.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
I'm thinking not in this case. I've probley got close to 750,000 miles on motorcycles in my 50 years of riding, (by my best calculations) So I think I know how to ride. While I was a little racy in my younger days. I'm an Easy rider now. Like I said I get over 20,000 miles on a rear tire. My last three Harleys before I got my 08 I have had NO troubles with.(shovel,evo,evo) I put over 90,000 mi.on each. These new models have real problems. From faulty fuel pumps to compensators, tranny main shaft bearings, fairing brackets, cam chain tensioners, steering problems and the old overheating thing. The MOCO keeps putting band-aids on a bad design.
I totally agree....the MoCo is sourcing **** parts

Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM
pedallingfool
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear your concern. I think it's just the luck of the draw and there are really few issues concidering the ten's of thousands of bikes sold by HD. Mine is only a year old and I've had a 107 ci put in over the winter so nothing stay's the same. I will say MOCO uses some really cheap parts for a premium motorcycle. After 5,500 miles no complaints... other then changing out just about every part on a new bike lol.

Quick Reply: HD Compensator Question