General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Southern Louisianna Ride Info Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
richards6402
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Southern Louisianna Ride Info Please

My wife and I are planning on riding to New Orleans and then south of NO and then up to Lafayette and Baton Rouge. Does anyone have any good suggestions about travel south of NO? Plenty of premium gas? Good shrimp eating joints? Have to see stops? Places to stay away from?
Thanks to those who reply.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

First don't watch the movie Easy Rider .. LOL Breaux Bridge I would say is a Must... Fine Food and True Cajun Music at Mulates .. Am sure others will chime in with more but I anytime I pass through that way Mulates is on top of the list ..

Old 05-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holler at Gypsy, that is in her neighborhood, but good food will be plentiful.

Hobe

Old 05-28-2011, 04:21 PM
medicsn
Cruiser

My suggestion is to ditch anything south of NO and concentrate on things that might be interesting. Do a web search on the local plantation homes if you think that might be your thing.

Nothing to see below NO at all. Bad roads and no scenery at all. Head west on I-10 and pretend you didn't see Baton Rouge (Shitty traffic and nothing worth seeing) Bridge over the Mississippi is very grooved so be careful.

Stop on I-10 in Breaux Bridge just before Lafayette and hit Poche's. (Can't miss it...big sign) It's a landmark meat market that sells boudin, cracklins and such. Some of the best food you will ever find. They do lunch plates that you will never forget.

Hit Gypsy up and she will give you more pointers for Lafayette but I've worked around there all my life and you won't find any good rides. Scen ery consists of rice fields and nothing much. Food and people are great but roads and cops suck.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:23 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
First don't watch the movie Easy Rider .. LOL Breaux Bridge I would say is a Must... Fine Food and True Cajun Music at Mulates .. Am sure others will chime in with more but I anytime I pass through that way Mulates is on top of the list ..
Heck, the only good reason to watch Easy Rider is so you can go to Lafayette Cemetery and have your picture taken where they filmed that scene.

If you are a Harley T-Shirt collector, New Orleans harley now has 2 "motorclothes" stores in the French Quarter, Voodoo HD and Bourbon Street HD. Nice shirts.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:25 PM
medicsn
Cruiser

One thing you might wanna consider after leaving NO is to make a short jaunt into TX after leaving Lafayette. Not that far but if you go up the TX/LA border you get into some hilly country that is quite nice. Let me know and I might meet up with ya for lunch and give you some tips on where to ride........

Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No curves in South Lousyana. Gotta go up to central and north western side. Live here and ride here. Everything south of I10 is flat and marshy. The coastal highways along the gulf is good to see for a while but gets old because it is mostly straight. Good food almost anywhere.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 PM
richards6402
Advanced

Thanks Jay...am planning on going East on I-10 on the 8th of June and will check out the bridge. I know what you are talking about in Easy Rider...I have watched it many times and still enjoy it. Thanks again. Am planning on the tshirts in NO also!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

If you make it your goal to go to enjoy the food, music and Cajun people, you will have a great time. Hope you like to dance.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 PM
richards6402
Advanced
Default Thanks for the Relies Bikers!

First of all I apologize for the misspelling of Replies in the title. Thanks to all of you that replied. I am going to try and do everything you said to do except probably not go into TX as time is a factor. We will do NO and go to the cemetary and eat at Poche's and Mulate's. Looking forward to riding over the bridge from Easy Rider. Thanks again to all of you.

Last edited by richards6402; 05-28-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.

Quick Reply: Need Southern Louisianna Ride Info Please