General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please analyze my decel pop symptoms

Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please analyze my decel pop symptoms

I know it's kind of been beaten to death and I have searched and read a lot of posts. Here is the situation. 2004 Road King stage 1 air, dresser duals with Vance and Hines twin slash round mufflers and PCT from Fuelmoto. I don't think I have any leaks. When I changed the exhaust, I replaced the gaskets with new ones. I torqued the nuts to spec(at least the ones I could get a torque wrench on). The others I just tightened by feel, but I think its good. I have a tendency to overtighten everything, so I was cautious as I don't want to damage a gasket or snap a stud. Anyway, I have a little decel pop. I adjusted the 0% throttle as per fuelmotos suggestions. They told me to start at 15% and increase by 5% up to as high as 50. I am up to 25. When I went to 20, I thought it was good

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

I don't think I have any leaks may not be good enough.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
skully1200
Road Master

Sorry, accidentally posted before I was done. I rode the bike in the evening when it was about 60 degrees. It seemed good. The following day when it was 85, the popping was back. It only seems to do it when the bike is hot. It doesn't do it a lot but it does it more than I think it should. There is a fair amount of gurgling which I think is normal with that free flowing baffle design. When the popping occurs is when I let off the gas and the rpms wind down. I can't say for sure what rpm it starts to pop at as I don't have a tach but it is somewhere in the midrange. I also get the occasional crack when upshifting fairly aggressively. Should I keep throwing fuel at it? I don't have a laptop so I.have to take it off the bike for every adjustment. Does anyone have any suggestions? It' s not a huge problem, just kind of annoying. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a small amount of decel pop on my Heritage. It's my understanding it's normal and it can be tuned out but you're detuning the bike to get rid of it. I like it, personally. Gives my Heritage some character.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 AM
skully1200
Road Master

I forgot to mention that the bike runs well. I also wonder, if the popping was caused by a leak, would it do it all the time, or still only when hot?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decel popping is from a minute amount of unburned fuel popping when it hits the hot exhaust pipe or manifold. It's better to run the bike a bit rich than too lien. If the bike is tuned for optimum performance, it will have it. I'm talking about minor popping on deceleration, anything else and the bike isn't tuned properly.

Last edited by barjbar; 06-07-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

when our went pop-pop-depop-pop,pop and even a boom once in a while all the way down the rpm's it was an air leak.

After fixing the air leaks.
It just pops a little and gurgles IMO its not unusual.
The re-dyno after they were sealed correctly did get almost all of it out, but still a very, very little left..

Last edited by oct1949; 06-07-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,720 Likes on 6,884 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
Decel popping is from a minute amount of unburned fuel popping when it hits the hot exhaust pipe or manifold. It's better to run the bike a bit rich than too lien. If the bike is tuned for optimum performance, it will have it. I'm talking about minor popping on deceleration, anything else and the bike isn't tuned properly.
BINGO

You are lean on the deceleration side and while this is not bad or dangerous to your engine it can bother you if you don't like it. The solution is to have it tuned to add more fuel and it will stop. I had the same problem after adding air intake, exhaust and a PVC.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 Heritage with stage I pops a bit on decel. Like I said before, it doesnt bother me, the bike runs fine and I wish I could get flames on decel!!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
isellem
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decel popping is caused by a lean fuel mixture, not leaks. Your motorcycle isn't tuned properly and while I have to agree with Dock in saying it won't hurt anything...why not get it fixed. You're riding an expensive motorcycle that you're probably extremely proud of...have a professional tune your motorcycle properly and you should be much happier!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please analyze my decel pop symptoms