General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadside Assistance

As a relatively new Harley owner, I feel I need to look into purchasing some roadside assistance insurance from somewhere

I have State Farm on all my vehicles but do not carry roadside assistance

I am looking for something that is tailored to the needs of a motorcycle (towing when you have a flat and such).

I looked into AAA but didn't see anything. Some of my friends are HOG members and they say they get coverage with their dues.

Can I get some feedback on what some of you have for coverage....or if you feel it is not worth the price. If you have used your assistance, did it fit the need or was it a hassle?

Recommendations are appreciated

Thanks
Dan

Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 697 Likes on 359 Posts

I don't have any yet but, 'm fixing to get the Good Sam's coverage. They'll cover everything under this roof and every driver in my family for $109 per year. I initially looked into them due to my camper and found out how wide their coverage is.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

AAA doesn't tow motorcycles? HOLY CRAP!

Wow guess this AAA card ain't doing me crap on my bike. Wow I gotta get something....

Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

never used it. but have a HOG membership.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM
oldwildwally
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triple A has coverage ...under the rv and motorcyle section ...says rv/motorcycle on the bottom right of the card and I got the extended coverage for more miles ( don't remember and don't know where the policy is right now ) but they have it ..................or I've been payin xtra for the past 10 years for nothing?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Check into Road America.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM
mopar400
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
never used it. but have a HOG membership.
Don't count on that HOG membership roadside assistance.

This weekend we had a bike ('09 Ultra) loose a front wheel bearing.
After 2 hours with HOG roadside assistance we were no where. They had one guy that would tow the bike 40 miles for $300.00, $100.00 covered by the HOG membership. Or wait until Monday when the dealerships open back up.

End up with a frend driving up 70 miles with a trailer.

I'm looking into alternatives, I have a big ride coming up end of August and after this experance I don't waht the opportunity to get stranded

Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have State Farm also. So, I went with the MRF's Roadside Assistance. It's cheap, and you don't have to be an MRF member.

link
MRF Roadside Assistance

As far as AAA, some states or areas offer motorcycle towing, some do not. They do not in my area (southern NV).

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never had to use AAA for a bike, but have used them for cars a few times. Never had a bad experience. One time they could not get to me in a timely manner. Operator on the phone told me I could get a non AAA company to tow me and they would reimburse my money. Which they did. Also when I lived in CA you could go to the AAA office and do DMV business for your car. That alone saved loads of time. For motorcycles, you have to have the rv coverage

Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AAA does offer a couple of plans that cover scoots. One is linked to an RV plan, the other is specifically for motorcycles.

Check with your insurance company. They may have something and may give you a good rate.

Road America is the HOG plan. The basic coverage is included with membership and covers one tow annually, to the closest dealer. Coverage upgrades are available. Haven't used it myself but have been present when others have. The closest dealer may not be in the direction you want to go. The contracted towing company may not concern themselves with whether the dealership is open when they are transporting your bike - they are simply getting it there. The towing company will want to see the HOG card before they touch your bike.

There are options out there. Do your homework and see what meets your needs.

If you have riding buddies and the storage space, having a trailer is a good backup plan. If a few guys split the cost it isn't very expensive.

Quick Reply: Roadside Assistance