General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety inspection stations in Maryland?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
bontrager
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety inspection stations in Maryland?

I had no idea it would be such a challenge to get a safety inspection done on my bike in MD! Most service stations either don't do motorcycles or their safety inspector is only available on certain days of the week.

Anyone know of some places to get an inspection done in the greater Bethesda/Rockville Maryland area? One would think the MVA would have a directory of authorized places and google doesn't seem to help much either....

p.s. I called Battley Harley and they're backed up too...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When I lived in Maryland I used to bring my bike to an indy near Baltimore. Might want to try an indy near your neck of the woods.

Good luck,

Tom

Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Got an auto repair shop that does bikes in Westminster, MD we've used. Bowen Autom 410-848-1999

Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
scheng32
Cruiser

The Harley in Darlington does inspections, I would also check the one in baltimore or anapolis

Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Maryland State Police

Call your local Md. State Police barracks, they'll have all that information.
Might be available on-line too.
Google it! :-)

GSF

Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Chris Glover
Stage I
Default Bowen Auto Westminister MD

I appreciated the recommendation to Bowen Auto. I called him and although he said only way he'll do it is if i drop the bike off. He only quoted $30.00 for the MD MC Safety Inspection. and i'm with whoever started this post. google search only finds threads like this and dmv listing does not list available inspection stations only what is in the safety inspection. Additionally there should be a standard charge for this service as one shop tried to quote me $80.00. It sucks having to always shop around because everyone is trying to get over on unsuspecting people.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

Wow, VA is only $12 for an inspection and is illegal to charge extra.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I go to a tire/car repair place locally. Inspector shoots the breeze with me and doesn't look at the bike. Nice guy and a long time rider. I just hope he doesn't get checked by the state for his inspection methods.

Do you have any tire places around your home? They all do the bike inspections here. $30 seems awfully high for an inspection. I thought the cost was state regulated?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Maryland has some weird regulations pertaining to vehicle safety inspections. The fee is based on the shop's labor rate where in Va. it's a straight $12.00. Anyway, here is a link to a general info sheet provided by MVA and about 3/4 of the way down the page is a phone number that you could call to see if they have a listing of authorized stations in your area.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 PM
wwarffemius
Novice

Theres a place right in Rockville that does MC inspections. "Park Road Auto Service" or theres "Rams Cycles" in Gaithersburg. thats all i can think of off the top of my head but i know theres alot more.
As for the price it differs but is usually around $80. but the difference between VA and MD is MD you only get inspected once when you tag it and thats it. even if you take tags off for 1- 2 years, you can still get it retagged without inspection as long as it doesn't change names. I think in Va you have to get it done yearly but im not sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safety inspection stations in Maryland?