General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 FLHT Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 1985 FLHT Electra Glide Classic

Hi Guys

Can you tell me if any you guys out there in Harley Land own the same Harley as I do ?

1985 FLHT ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC

Just wondering if we can compare notes & learn something old or new on:
Tires, Accessories, Performance, etc,etc.

Examples:

1. Do you have an cigarette light socket on
Harely ? And how did you go about intall-
ing it ?
2. Do you have really bright tail light and
if so how do you install 'em ?

Things like that guys. Need to pick your brains & experience with doing such stuff
like I mention. Usually I get running around the squirrel cage trying to figure-out how the heck do I do this or that

Attached Thumbnails 1985 FLHT Electra Glide Classic-my-harley.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you need advice from someone wit the exact same bike as you- you just need advice on how to approach projects in general. A cigar lighter is a simple install- go to the auto parts store & get a lighter & socket, drill a hole in the inner fairing the proper size with a hole saw, install lighter per directions, then run a 12v hot wire (with fuse) from the battery or fuse box to the lighter and install a ground wire from the lighter to the frame.
Your rear brake light may just have a dull cover. Try polishing it with a plastic polish or replace it completely. If that doesn't help, go to the auto parts store with the existing brake light bulb & ask for something brighter. If that still doesn't work look into auxiliary LED brake lights that replace the existing setup, or find some that attach to the Tour Pak. You can also check into Priority Lights that light the turn signals all the time (makes them running lights) and flashes the brake lights when brakes are applied. All of these products come with instructions and are rarely difficult to install.

Nice bike, and best of luck with your projects...

Old 10-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Shep42
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a 1985 Eletraglide FLHTC

I have been having clutch cable, speedometer cable issues. I have new cables and I NEED A NEW / WORKING USED SPEEDOMETER, I think it is the 67232 85A (120 MPH) unit if anyone has an extra! Be glad to chat for the little I may be able to help. No Lighter on this bike, Just standard tail light,

Shep42

Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 AM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Here's What I Did About My Broken Speedometer

Hi Shep42

I order a new speedometer for my '85 Electra Glide Classic. The dashboard you and I have comes in two pieces. And my Harley dealer here in Vegas says that the left side only is available but the right side where the RPM'S are in un-
available.

I installed the new speedometer and adjusted my clutch cable and everything is good. My speedometer broke at: 45,100 miles. which is not good as far as the part is concern.

In my picture of my '85 it was re-painted two tone. It was all dark blue when I bought it new.

Take care
GOD bless

Originally Posted by Shep42
I do have a 1985 Eletraglide FLHTC

I have been having clutch cable, speedometer cable issues. I have new cables and I NEED A NEW / WORKING USED SPEEDOMETER, I think it is the 67232 85A (120 MPH) unit if anyone has an extra! Be glad to chat for the little I may be able to help. No Lighter on this bike, Just standard tail light,

Shep42

Attached Thumbnails 1985 FLHT Electra Glide Classic-my-harley.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I had an '83 Classic,for about 3 years,then I traded it in on a '93 Classic. The first mod I did to both of them was to drill a hole in the left side cover,and installed a cigarette lighter-right under my *** where I could reach it while riding.
I'm left handed though,you might rather want to put it on the right.
Next thing I remember was getting rid of that 'ham can' air cleaner on the '83,then -fishtail pipes.