General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dogs on Motorcycles

Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dogs on Motorcycles

I'm thinking about getting a dog. Specifically someone needs a new home for a dog, and it's a 2.8 lb long haired chihuahua. I've seen various pet carriers for bikes so I know people carry dogs. Anyone have any experience with a small dog on their bike?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
murphyclan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it, do it. Tbags makes a great pet carrier and our dog loves it. You find the coolest places traveling with a dog. Who knew there were bars that cater to people with dogs. Look for places with outside seating and the staff will take better care of your pet than you. We are in the middle of a 3000 mile trip with our cockapoo and having a great time. She lays low when i get 50mph or higher but as soon as i slow down she pokes her head up out of the bag and lets her hair blow. There are 2 clips in the bag that attach to her harness in case she gets excited and wants to jump out. Ill post pics when we get home. I would recommend doing it.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I say do it too.

I have a 22lb terrier mix. I'd love to take her with me... she's just a little too hyper and I'm afraid she'd not settle down enough to make it easy for her and me.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please consider www.beastriders.com My 10 lb weiner dog has logged more than 10,000 miles across 5 different States on his Beastrider carrier. IMHO it is simply the BEST way to carry a pooch on your Harley. The Beastrider straps onto the back seat or luggage rack of your bike and your dog wears a harness that securely straps him into the carrier. The seat is sturdy and will last a lifetime. Very handsome looking leather and sheepskin and looks good on a bike, not like some cheap plastic milk crate that is uncomfortable and unsafe for your pet. It is a tad on the expensive side but then, quality always is, isn't it?

Attached Thumbnails Dogs on Motorcycles-img_2137.jpg   Dogs on Motorcycles-img_4930.jpg   Dogs on Motorcycles-img_2241.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Mississippi Birdman
Cruiser
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
Check out this video.

That's awesome!!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I've thought about a trailer for my 50lbs. border collie. While he'll ride behind me on a four wheeler, don't think I'd want to risk him like that lab in the video. He's smart enough he could probably learn to ride that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-iOE...e_gdata_player

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
matt1080
Advanced

I have a guy that rides past my job a couple times a week on an old 70's honda with his dog a terrier mix of some kind strapped to his chest on one of those front baby carriers with the dog looking foward with both the dog and the rider wearing matching goggles. Honestly the highlight of my day when I see it (Theres also a roughly 500 pound women that rides past on a pink vespa every once and a while that has the oppisite effect, The motor sounds like its gargling underwater). There both having a blast!

Last edited by matt1080; 07-05-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
sstlcm08
Novice
Default Sounds like a good Idea!

If you haven't hit the dog pound for adoption, please do so. Alot of good, well trained, and mature dogs in there that can use a little help.
Carrying your dog in your bike is a great idea. You have the right idea.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i had a friend that had a little poodle that would ride on the gas tank..i rode next to him once on the highway,that little dog would lean and everything..was at a rest stop on the ohio turnpike once,there was a goldwing parked with a cockier spaniel bungy netted to the back seat,the whole dog was plaster down except its head up looking around

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dogs on Motorcycles