General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling on ebay

Anyone ever sell a bike on ebay and how does it work if you still owe on the bike

Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the effectiveness of selling eBay (you may want to try craigslist.org first, but be careful), and you'll also want to check on your state specific requirements with the Titling Agency. I bought a bike from a gentleman in Missouri, so here's what we've done-
He was financed by HD, and I established financing for the selling price on my end. My lender accepted the pay-off quote even though it was more than the agreed sale price. He provided me with a pay-off quote, and then proceeded to pay the difference to HD between my payment and the amount he owed. My financing company made the check out to he and I, I will sign the check over to him upon pick-up (tomorrow). In MO, the individuals hold the title, so he will sign the title to me in exchange for the check. Upon my return to Ohio, I will get an Ohio Title as well as the out-of-state inspection Ohio requires. Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I thought I'd offer that information since I was new to the process as well. Check with your BMV/DMV for more applicable information. I was lucky... the guy I am buying it from has been responsive, responsible, and has provided (thus far) a perfect experience.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
vaughn4380
Advanced

I sold a sportster on Ebay a few years ago. I was up front that the bike had a lien from a loan company and the title was not in my hands. The purchaser paid me for the bike in cash, I deposited it to my account and sent the loan company a payoff check. The loan company then sent me the title and I mailed it to the purchaser. If I remember correctly, the buyer was able to get a 30 day tag without the title, and he had the title within three weeks so he was able to get plates at that time. The transaction was smooth and I wouldn’t hesitate to do a similar deal. When you post on Ebay, just make sure you state that the new buyer won’t get the title until the loan is paid off.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

I've sold 3 bikes and 5 cars on Ebay. I've also bought several on Ebay. On two of the bikes I still had a lien on the bike, so I simply added that to the listing. I think Ebay has an area specifically for the title (clear or with lien), so there should be no surprises to the bidder.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by roofer
Anyone ever sell a bike on ebay and how does it work if you still owe on the bike
Have sold/bought a couple of bikes on e-bay. Just make it clear in your ad that the bike has a lien on it that must be satisfied before the buyer can receive the title. Also be ready to draft up a bill of sale so once the buyer does pay for the bike and take custody of it, both of you have documentation of the sale while waiting for the title to arrive. You can google "bill of sale" and find a good one.

FWIW, ebay is a bit safer for the buyer than craigslist because of the free Vehicle Purchase Protection for qualified sellers. Also, if you're a new e-bay seller with zero or low feedback, it may make folks reluctant to bid. However, if you qualify for Vehicle Purchase Protection as a seller, that will help you get bids.

Post a link to the auction on HD Forums once you get it listed (in the classified section).

Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 AM
SalsaNChips
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to sell my '02 Sportster and may use eBay after reading the positive reviews here. Hate paying the commission though (I'm cheap). Already have it listed on Craig's List, no responses yet after 4 days. Anybody know of any other reasonably effective online methods (other than Cycle Trader -- too expensive)?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Sold several Bikes and even bought a few on Ebay ... but won't buy one without a clear title ... JMHO ... If want to sell Pay it off

Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebay and other selling venues are ok but you sure have to watch out for the scams. I found a guy that has 2 new RK Classics he was selling for 12k each and said he would deliver. Sure he will.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Bikerdad61
Tourer

I know at least in Indiana, by law, the seller (or a dealer) has 30 days from the date of sale to furnish the buyer with a clear title. That gives time for the transaction, a payoff by the seller and the lein holder to release the title.