General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 SwitchBack vs Fatboy Lo??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM
GlennW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the looks of the Switchback. Had both a '91 FXRS Convertible and a '98 Dyna Convertible. Liked 'em both and the Switchback addresses their shortcomings, namely in having deep valanced fenders for weather protection, hard lockable bags, and a quick-detach windshield that actually looks to be quick-detach a la the Road King or Heritage Softail (older Convertibles required tools to detach). I have a Road King now but I can see the appeal of the Switchback for someone that wants similar functionality (at least for light-duty touring) but about 95 lbs. less weight. However I must say I was surprised to see the Switchback has only 29 degrees of lean angle either way compared to the RK's 31 left and 33 right. But if you're looking at the Fat Boy Lo (or any other lowered-suspension model) as your other choice, cornering clearance is apparently not a high priority for you. Go with whatever puts the biggest smile on your face without busting the bank.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 AM
netvampire
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stripped down, i think has a real 50/60's vibe to it, beach bars/running lights...would be awesome......................

Attached Thumbnails 2012 SwitchBack vs Fatboy Lo??-2011-07-21_054321.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
The Switchback is sweet! More versatile than the Fat Boy. Plus, it's still lighter, meaning it will be faster!
yep what Tony said. JMO...

Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's different in person but on the website Switchback looks (IMO) like a tour-bike "light." If I were between OP's two choices it would be the Lo.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Don't know about the Lo, but the Fat Boy is the most versatile and best looking bike Harley makes, period. Those fat tires really stick to the road and you can change it out to suit your needs. I love mine -- it has quick release bags, windshield and sissy bar/rack. I can change it form bar hopper to serious touring rig in 1o minutes. And to my eyes, it is the best looking and most traditional Harley on the road with the possible exception of the Deluxe/Heritage series. YMMV, just my opinion...

Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

I think Dickey and Frenchie nailed it, it's almost a cool bike...just lacking some stuff. Spend a few bucks more and get the bike the Switchback wants to be when it grows up. But I think the concept is good.
And GlennW...don't know what you mean about the "almost quick-detach windshield" on the Heritage. On mine you grab a release on each side and lift; no tools required.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
Don't know about the Lo, but the Fat Boy is the most versatile and best looking bike Harley makes, period. Those fat tires really stick to the road and you can change it out to suit your needs. I love mine -- it has quick release bags, windshield and sissy bar/rack. I can change it form bar hopper to serious touring rig in 1o minutes. And to my eyes, it is the best looking and most traditional Harley on the road with the possible exception of the Deluxe/Heritage series. YMMV, just my opinion...
Yup. The Fatboy/Heritage/Deluxe family rocks.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't see the Terminator coming out the bar puttin the Dark shades on and mounting a Switchback ..... Sounds like a Disney ride!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

get the dyna.....softails have no soul

Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd get the Switchback. It will have a better ride than a softie and has built in versatility. The Lo doesn't. The Lo a serious touring rig? Yes, if you spend extra for bags, and a windshield. Even at that unless you do something about that exhaust, you are very limited in the bag size. Serious touring? No. Touring? Maybe, but only after you spend a wad more. The suspension is way more friendly on a Dyna from the perspective of MY body. I put the ride comfort and suspension of any softie above a Sportster and below a Dyna. Some swear softies are comfortable, but compared to a Dyna or any touring frame, they are lacking. That's what my butt, back, and everything else tells me anyway.

Quick Reply: 2012 SwitchBack vs Fatboy Lo??