General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD sued over excess heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

they have a case with the transmissions.
one of our local dealers was trying to push an 06 Dyna on me, so i asked him if the transmission had been repaired. He played stupid, said he had no idea what I was talking about....then took me to the parts dept where they had no idea what i was talking about. Told them I've never seen a bunch of guys more full of **** in my life and walked out.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:47 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotsa ruck. I mean there is heat but I've never burnt my leg. Maybe he should keep his bare thigh off the manifold? Why not sue 'cause the exhaust is too loud while they're at it? Might damage their eardrums.

Last edited by barjbar; 07-29-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Waiting for a class action lawsuit regarding defective compensators 07-10. Surprised that it hasn't already happened.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a engine has to be made with a idle mode that cuts out the rear cylinder when the bike is stopped indicates the engine throws off too much heat.

I don't hear about people complaining their 80 or 88's getting to hot.

When are people going to realize that as engine size and horse power increases air cooled engines generate too much heat and makes it difficult for air cooled engines to be cooled effectively limits ac engine use.

This is why most automakers have abandoned aircooled engines.

Yes there have been high HP large multi cylinder air cooled engines that were sucessful. They were the radial engines used in WW II and after until the jet engine took over. Those engines ran at high altitudes where the air temps are always much colder then at sea level.

Motorcycles only travel at high altitude when there is a road under them on top of the Rocky Mtns.

The lawyer's present their case:

Harley Davidson knows about the limits of air cooled engines and how that decided to go past the 88" size using a band aid approach with the rear cylinder cut out that evidently is not working.

Countless HD owners are so concerned about their engines running to hot they are retro fitting their bikes with oil coolers to rectify a poor design from the factory.

Instead of using the new proven technology, HD refused to offer the new vrod engine even as an option across their model line that would provide superior HP over the 96 and larger engines wihout the dangerous levels of heat.

Instead HD chose profits over their loyal customer's safety.

Whether this gets are far as a judge trial or a jury trial the plantiff's complaint in this day and age will be decided by those that can't read a spark plug let alone change one will.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Motorcycles should be outlawed period. They are hot, prone to breakdowns and lack any means of safety or protection to the rider in the event of any kind of accident. They are a menace to the roadways and to society and a burden on our health care system.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior

full synthetic oil and the engine runs a little cooler, 93 octane or higher and the engine runs a little cooler, make the engine run a little richer and the engine runs a little cooler. plan route around traffic lights and stalled traffic and the engine runs a little cooler.
when I'm riding my street glide I wear shorts and when I'm riding my night train I wear jeans cause the oil tank gets hot....
there is something to be said about that little voice inside a reasonable persons head that tells them" dont remove that radiator cap just yet, or dont touch the side of that grill the hamburgers are cooking on, dont stick your dick in that blender while its running...
and then some people just have their Ipod so loud they cant hear that little voice anymore.
I have gotten recalls about issues with harley davidson and I check bulletins with the service guys when I take it in from time to time and seems that the company is fair with handling issues from compensators to the bolts on the gas tanks that they replace if you take them in....
it would be nice if they cooked you oat meal and made your bed for you but I dont see that happening..
so if "mommy, my bikes too hot" weeds out a few, oh well.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
The lawyer's present their case:

Harley Davidson knows about the limits of air cooled engines and how that decided to go past the 88" size using a band aid approach with the rear cylinder cut out that evidently is not working.

Countless HD owners are so concerned about their engines running to hot they are retro fitting their bikes with oil coolers to rectify a poor design from the factory.

Instead of using the new proven technology, HD refused to offer the new vrod engine even as an option across their model line that would provide superior HP over the 96 and larger engines wihout the dangerous levels of heat.

Instead HD chose profits over their loyal customer's safety.

people are 'retro fitting' their bikes with oil coolers not because they have to, but because it makes them feel better about it. i haven't heard of any bikes grenading because they ran too hot.

and as far as providing the vrod engine as an option for the touring line up, really? how do they think they are gonna stuff all that other stuff in the frame, let alone the engine? plus the vrod engine, while it may have higher hp, revs higher than most folks like, and doesn't have the torque that a heavy touring bike needs.

you know, their whole argument about heat is based on the 96'' engine and the epa lean tune. when i got my 883 evo powered sportster in 2002, i burned up a set up pants on the exhaust. that engine is only 54 inches. i didn't go crying to the moco (or a lawyer) about it, i stopped wearing 'baggy' pants when i rode.

if they don't want a big air cooled engine, then buy a fricken honda fer chrissakes. i didn't read anywhere where someone held a gun to their heads and made them buy these bikes.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

This is just another frivolous lawsuit by 4 guys trying to cash in on the litigation lotto. I'd like to see how their thighs were burned by the engine heat. I'm on my 4th Harley and have never experienced enough heat from the heads or manifold to burn my skin without physically touching them.

Last edited by barjbar; 07-29-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

this must be one of the plaintiffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZVjVYAK_EM

Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,831 Likes on 17,453 Posts

So much the fanboys in here saying there are no problems with the 6 spd trannies . HD has a long history of doing stupid crap like using inferior materials or bearings this isn't the first nor will it be the last as long as bean counters rule the empire . Wondering when somebody was going to do this it was a matter of time .

Quick Reply: HD sued over excess heat