General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shovelhead question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
medic5502
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shovelhead question

So I'm new here, names Eddie from Colorado. QUick question for you all... G have been looking at some shovelheads years ranging from 70-82, all different models. A friend of mine keeps telling me to stay away from them cause of the whole amf thing. I like tIe prices and the style of the bikes, is the shovel a good motor? and would you recommend not looking that way. I have a 95 sporty 1200, just looking for something bigger. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell your bud to shut his mouth. Shovels kick ***.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

I know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but I would definitely stay away from shovels UNLESS you know how to work on them. Even a later model shovel in mint condition is gonna give you way more problems than an Evo or Twin Cam. I've had a bunch of 'em, and every time I would start one up, some new problem surfaced. With a shovel, there is ALWAYS some issue,most times involving oil leaking from somewhere, or something breaking. The technology just wasn't there back in the day for reliability, and even those that have been rebuilt using updated parts & gaskets are sketchy at best. On the other side of the coin, they are easier to work on than later models. There are only a couple advantages to owning a shovel--Cost,looks, interchangeability of parts,ease of repair,retro mojo,and the #1 reason--SOUND! You can't beat the sound of a shovel...WHEN they decide to run!

Bottom line--Treat any shovel like you would a '57 Chevy--it ain't gonna be everyday transportation.

Last edited by dickey; 08-01-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but I would definitely stay away from shovels UNLESS you know how to work on them. Even a later model shovel in mint condition is gonna give you way more problems than an Evo or Twin Cam. I've had a bunch of 'em, and every time I would start one up, some new problem surfaced. The technology just wasn't there back in the day for reliability, and even those that have been rebuilt using updated parts & gaskets are sketchy at best. On the other side of the coin, they are easier to work on than later models. There are only a couple advantages to owning a shovel--Cost, interchangeability of parts,ease of repair,retro mojo,and the #1 reason--SOUND! You can't beat the sound of a shovel...WHEN they decide to run!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shovels are for folks that are capable and don't mind working on their own ****. If this ain't you it'll cost a pretty penny. If you are picky about oil leaks it ain't for you. My bike is very reliable but has it's leaks. The good thing is that they are stone simple to work on if you are mechanically inclined.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

I remember back in the 70's 3 of the guys I worked with have Super Glides...

Every winter they tore them down and almost completely rebuilt them just to be ready for next summer...

Still they were in the shop or working on them all the time.

I had a sporty back then, a 71, wasn't as bad, but I never went very far on her either, nothing like those guys did.. they rode all over the country..

Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
medic5502
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I don't mind oil or working on them at all.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i have had the same shovelhead for 13 years,had a bad malory ignition,caused by mismatched parts(got a dyna s pick up and coil),and lost a spiderclip off the piston,the idiot that built it before i bought it put it in wrong(rebuild)..other then that, it has needed very little maintenance and starts every single time.i have been stranded 3 times,the rigged up ignition went out,old dead battery, and a flat tire.it has had a few oil leaks from using cheap gaskets(put in james gaskets).not bad for 13 years.. i rode it almost everyday half the year till 3 years ago when i wanted a newer bike with a stereo

Last edited by j1mmy; 08-01-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go for it.... IF, you have the mechanical expertise and/or the money to keep it on the road.

then again, it whould be a neat experience working on an older Harley, get it running and show it off.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but I would definitely stay away from shovels UNLESS you know how to work on them. Even a later model shovel in mint condition is gonna give you way more problems than an Evo or Twin Cam. I've had a bunch of 'em, and every time I would start one up, some new problem surfaced. With a shovel, there is ALWAYS some issue,most times involving oil leaking from somewhere, or something breaking. The technology just wasn't there back in the day for reliability, and even those that have been rebuilt using updated parts & gaskets are sketchy at best. On the other side of the coin, they are easier to work on than later models. There are only a couple advantages to owning a shovel--Cost,looks, interchangeability of parts,ease of repair,retro mojo,and the #1 reason--SOUND! You can't beat the sound of a shovel...WHEN they decide to run!

Bottom line--Treat any shovel like you would a '57 Chevy--it ain't gonna be everyday transportation.
Bull$hit...seems like there several problems with new bikes as well from reading theses forums. Been riding the same 65 pan since 1970. Short and long trips (as far east as Kentucky). Only one other person has ever worked on it.

Broke a clutch cable once and fried a generator coming out of Hwy 6 in Nevada late one summer awhile back. Think that speaks how well an old bike will do provided you are familiar with them and do as much maintenance/repairs as you can (saves a bunch of money as well).

Picked up an 84 FLH to take the load off the pan. Used Cometic gaskets where I could on the rebuild and updated to a 32 amp system. Have a couple other things I will do after talking to another forum member this past weekend.

Only leak is due to a $hitty aftermarket out primary that drips in one spot.

Bottom line...for me at least...if you are mechanically inclined and do not mind routine maintenance on a more routine schedule, old iron is the best and are no less reliable than newer bikes. Sometimes things can and do go wrong unexpectedly, just like the new bikes.

I do not beat the crap out of my 65 (never have), nor do I beat the crap out of the 84 (never will) and I treat the bikes with the same care that I give my 55 Chevy P/U. Simply put that means any one of them will qualify as an everyday form of transportation if I choose.

And to Eddie from Colorado...just do it! There are a few +/_s to some years and models. Biggest thing you have to decide is if you are looking for close to stock (not as many out there) or prefer a custom (probably more out there). If you are not familiar with shovels, find someone who is and take them with you. If you find one and want some feedback,take pics and post away for input.

There is a good sub-forum here for shovel owners. There is also www.shovelhead.us ...you guessed it almost exclusively shovels. Plenty of folks there ride new bikes as well as older iron like pans, knucks and flatties.

Last edited by panz4ever; 08-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: shovelhead question