General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

German helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
patharley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default German helmet question

Where I can foung a DOT german helmet without the "mushroom" head look. I want a nice fit like the illegal one.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Stahlhelm has an inherent "mushroom" design due to its function. Thats why the basic design elements of the original are still used in modern helmets to help keep soldiers alive.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Way to many people worry about the way they look. I also don't understand the desire for a WWII German helmet, anyone remember what the **** Germans did to Europe and the Jewish folks back then? Sorry for the hijack...continue.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Oh no,you should have did a search on "german helmets" first. Getting myself some popcorn,this can get ugly.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Oh no,you should have did a search on "german helmets" first. Getting myself some popcorn,this can get ugly.
I'll share.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Pete838
Cruiser

I'm pretty sure that helmet shape didn't originate with Hitler, but just like the swastika, the iron cross, and the iron eagle, they are attributed only to **** Germany and many people can't seem to get beyond it. Hell, even the helmet retailers call them German WW2 helmets. That design is currently in use in Chile, and again in Germany, but now made of Kevlar. The UN helmet even bears some resemblance to the Stalhelm.

Skull Crush makes some great non-DOT helmets, but their gear is probably safer and better made than the DOT stuff. I'm pretty sure the 'mushroom' look you're referring to comes from the requisite padding that is part of the DOT package. Good luck finding one without. I'd rather get the Skull Crush and a sticker.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Zombiequest
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pete838
I'm pretty sure that helmet shape didn't originate with Hitler, but just like the swastika, the iron cross, and the iron eagle, they are attributed only to **** Germany and many people can't seem to get beyond it. Hell, even the helmet retailers call them German WW2 helmets. That design is currently in use in Chile, and again in Germany, but now made of Kevlar. The UN helmet even bears some resemblance to the Stalhelm.

Skull Crush makes some great non-DOT helmets, but their gear is probably safer and better made than the DOT stuff. I'm pretty sure the 'mushroom' look you're referring to comes from the requisite padding that is part of the DOT package. Good luck finding one without. I'd rather get the Skull Crush and a sticker.
Besides the German WW2 helmets Skull Crush also has modern US Military helmets.. that's what I was waiting for.. let me use the US shape, not the German's shape.

Like he said also, they are made tough enough to be run over without breaking or cracking, just add a sticker to it and you'll probably be just as safe "health-wise".

Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-03-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombiequest
Besides the German WW2 helmets Skull Crush also has modern US Military helmets.. that's what I was waiting for.. let me use the US shape, not the German's shape.

Like he said also, they are made tough enough to be run over without breaking or cracking, just add a sticker to it and you'll probably be just as safe "health-wise".
I thought this would be obvious but apparently is not. Helmets prevent the transmission of sudden impact forces to the head like your head hitting the pavement or curb, whether or not they can support the weight of a 3000lb car is irrelevant to their function. This is why we have helmet testing and some fail and do not get approved.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by Pete838

Skull Crush makes some great non-DOT helmets, but their gear is probably safer and better made than the DOT stuff.
Skull Crush is an authorized dealer for Head Trip (ACC) helmets

Quick Reply: German helmet question