General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They are holding my bike hostage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:14 AM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They are holding my bike hostage!

Here is what happened.
2005 Electra Glide Classic, 9000 miles, driven daily, weather permitting. I live in Florida. I purchased the bike new in May of 05.
About a week ago I noticed that my rear brake pedal would slowly sink all the way to the floor when pushed slowly.
If the pedal was pressed fast it would hold propperly. Stopped at my selling dealer last Thursday and told them I cannot drive it till it is fixed and they wrote a repair
order that states that the rear brake goes to floor when pressed slowly. I told them it may need the rear master cylinder replaced as the system has no external leak.
They have rear MS in stock (I had the service writer check stock).

Left bike and called next day. They told me that when they were pushing my bike onto the
lift that my front brake lever almost collapsed completely so they checked the front fluid, found it low, filled it and bled alot of air out of front bakes.
I told them I rode the bike to the dealer and that the front brake worked perfectly and Idon't believe it could possibly have air in the system.

I told them that my complaint was with the rear brake only and that I have never had had even the slightest problem with the front brakes. I told them that I had
flushed the front brake with DOT 5 silicone fluid and I had no complaint with the front brake whatsoever and to please fix the rear brake.
I told them I have never even removed the cover to the rear master cylinder (It has a slight glass) and it has the original fluid.

Yes I know that HD changed to DOT 4 in 2005 for improved brake feel! In April of last year I had the dealer replace the front master cylinder cover due to the paint
peeling from it leaking very slightly. After this I thoroughly flushed the front brake only with DOT 5. I have used DOT 5 for many years (more than 20) in anything that does
not have ABS and have yet to have any brake hydraulic failure of any kind no matter what year the car, truck or bike is.

Called today and service manager is off on Mondays. Was told they are not going to touch my bike until HD calls them back and lets them know if I damaged
my brakes by installeng DOT 5 fluid!
I asked about rear brake issue, they said they bled the rear on Friday and it still goes down. I asked if they put a new master cylinder on and
they said not until they hear back from HD.

I forgot to mention I am am Automotive Tech with 24 years experience. I have been a ASE certified Master Tech since 1990.
I know that DOT 5 and 4 don't mix, that is why I flushed almost a pint of DOT 5 through front brakes back in April.

How do I get them to fix the rear brake (original complaint) and release their hostage?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: They are holding my bike hostage!

Typical.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

You will have to be patient. Its a liability issue now. The shop is trying to cover their A$$.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Any warranty work has to be authorized thru MOCO.So as far as your rear brake,just wait.
I think the dealer should have called you about the front brake before doing any work to it.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:14 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only way to get your bike fixed right is do it yourself [:@]

But with warranty work i guess we are stuck.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 AM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we are assuming this is warranty work?

cuz if your credentials are true, why then did you not put on the master cylender yourself?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Thomas
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I told them that my complaint was with the rear brake only and that I have never had had even the slightest problem with the front brakes. I told them that I had
flushed the front brake with DOT 5 silicone fluid and I had no complaint with the front brake whatsoever and to please fix the rear brake.
I told them I have never even removed the cover to the rear master cylinder (It has a slight glass) and it has the original fluid.
Here is my question why did you flush the front brake fluid if there was never a problem.
Second question is you never checked the rear fluid why?

I forgot to mention I am am Automotive Tech with 24 years experience. I have been a ASE certified Master Tech since 1990.
I know that DOT 5 and 4 don't mix, that is why I flushed almost a pint of DOT 5 through front brakes back in April
Seems you messed up tech...

If you want your bike back call the police and go get it it.
They can not hold your bike that is bull....

Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

go get it....i hate letting people work on my bike..especially a dealer

Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Budz
Tourer

If you told the service writer the same thing you wrote it seems he has a comprehension issue. I'd be willing to bet that your dealer told the MOCO that you changed out to DOT 5 fluids. If things don't get fixed under warranty Ill bet your next issue will be paying for service time when they checked out you brake systems unless you pay the freight for the repairs from the dealer. As far as what you've done to your bike; well it's your bike, you pays the bills.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 AM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

Two years unlimited milage wtty. Master cylinder is probably 300 or more buck and is covered by wtty.
Why should I pay for it?
ORIGINAL: AcidRayn

we are assuming this is warranty work?

cuz if your credentials are true, why then did you not put on the master cylender yourself?

Quick Reply: They are holding my bike hostage!