General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses Shell Rotella Oil?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Who uses Shell Rotella Oil?

I used it for the last oil change, and plan on using it from now on. I have a friends whose opinion I value greatly who uses it solely in his bike, and hes has at least 100,000 miles on it...Opinions?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Who uses Shell Rotella Oil?

Harley has a little statement in the '07 owners manuel that you can use any oil rated for diesel use in an emergency but to change it as soon as possible. Rotella is good oil and all good diesel oils have additives in them that alot of regular oils are starting to leave out. It's great for breaking in new motors so cam lobes don't go flat. Not to much of a worry with roller lifters. I don't think it would hurt anything even if it's not specificly designed for air cooled motors. Just my opinion.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is the only oil I use in all of my vehicles including my Ultra.

Since I do my own fluid changes every 3,000 miles (on the bike), I don't believe based on the research I've done... that the issues with the oil breaking down due to heat, apply...you'll see many opinions on this[IMG].

Rotella does not have any molys in it so it's safe in the primary as well. You wont believe how much quieter it makes the bike. I do not use it in the Tran; I like the Redline shock proof for that.

You can by it @ Wally World at a great price, but I say that mainly so that you know you find it on the road anywhere including truckstops.

Here is a link written by an individual working on a second engineering degree: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I've also done tons of research on oil filters as well and there are some good alternatives out there, but for me Harley Only on that item.

Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

Rotella is designed for Desiel motors in large trucks ........... kenworth freightlinners Peterbuilts ect I am not sure if I would use it in my bike but I did run it in my old Caddilac once when I was driving truck

Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So I can run it in my tranny too, Newhog? I guess I'll have to try this...I'mnot concerned about break in as my bke has almost 18000 miles on it right now...Thanks for that info, i'm doing that next change...

Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

I use the rotella synthetic in all my machines(atv,diesel,mowers) but use mobil 1vtwin in harley.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Newhog
Road Captain

I'm sorry, I did not mean break in of like a new motor. I meant early break down of the oil itself.

Some have said if you don't use v-twin oils it's not as good because the additives aren’t there for the kind of heat our Harleys generate. Since we are doing our own maintenance, do it more often to compensate...just in case :-)

Here's the deal, if the countries largest trucking companies will run that oil in +$100,000 trucks at 10,000 mile intervals, I am confident with it in my bike. They don’t due it because Rotella is the low bid...before someone throws that in...They due it to protect a $40,000 engine.

There is a ton of information about this product in the oil section.

FWIW, I'm not using this product to save money, note I still use the Harley filters. I buy it in bulk and use it in every vehicle I own because I am convinced it's a superior product.

I have including with my kids:
04 Chevy Diesel HD
05 Durango
04 Impala SS Supercharged
05 Honda Accord
97 Chevy Van
99 Ultra Classic
99 Honda Valk

Old 11-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

I use it in my Cummins. Other than that, no. Does it smell bad like the HD diesel oil? Rosmella

Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Newhog

It is the only oil I use in all of my vehicles including my Ultra.

Since I do my own fluid changes every 3,000 miles (on the bike), I don't believe based on the research I've done... that the issues with the oil breaking down due to heat, apply...you'll see many opinions on this[IMG].

Rotella does not have any molys in it so it's safe in the primary as well. You wont believe how much quieter it makes the bike. I do not use it in the Tran; I like the Redline shock proof for that.

You can by it @ Wally World at a great price, but I say that mainly so that you know you find it on the road anywhere including truckstops.

Here is a link written by an individual working on a second engineering degree: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I've also done tons of research on oil filters as well and there are some good alternatives out there, but for me Harley Only on that item.

Mike

Thanks for that link Newhog...That was probably the clearest explanation on oil I've ever read....and I've read quite a bit.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

I use it in everything I own including my other bikes but I will not use it in my 06 Ultra. The MoCo says it is too thin. My owners manual says 50wt oil period. JMHO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who uses Shell Rotella Oil?