General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a HD with not so good credit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Buying a HD with not so good credit

Im in a lot better situation now than 6 months ago but my credit took a beat down... Id like to try and get a bike this spring but know my score will still be pretty low. After researching HD's financing I can say that even if I did have top tier credit Im not sure I would finance with them... Ill be turning to my credit union in hopes they will be able to help me out but I was curious to see how many of you guys were in the same boat when you bought your bike...

Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9 times out of 10 you will be able to get a better rate from your local credit union than thru HD finance.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntsnow
9 times out of 10 you will be able to get a better rate from your local credit union than thru HD finance.
My dealer matched the credit union's rate; not that uncommon for the dealer to do that; they make a ton of money on financing too and they are not going to pass up an opportunity.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts

How shotty was you guys credit?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is my advice, but you aren't going to like it:

Start making payments now, into a savings account.

Wait until you have enough saved up to put 20% down on the bike, and still have a year of payments stashed away (best bet: have enough to pay the bike off in full).

Then, when you go buy the bike, you put down 20%, which brings the principal way down, and shows the lenders that you are responsible enough to save up at least that much money.

Make payments just as you have, and leave that account you set up, aside in case god forbid you lose your job or get hit with some huge unexpected bill. Only then, start taking money out of that account to make your payments.

I did that with my first bike and it built up my credit, and I never had to worry about having the money to make a payment.

My credit is above 750, and I got it that high by being careful, patient, and smart about how I use credit.

I suggest that you only buy things on credit when you already have enough cash to buy them outright, but use the credit anyway to build up your credit score. Pay them off WAY early to avoid spending too much on the interest payments.

This is the key to building up good credit and wealth.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A co-signer with excellent credit score is another way to get you in the door. And after 1-2 years of solid payment history they may remove the co-signer and let you fly on your own.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The best way to get a better deal with HD is to finance with them to get a break on the bike then go to your bank and re finance it for a better rate. HD will often nock the price down a little if you finance through them.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I just bought a second bike through HD. They wanted 12.5% for 7 years on a 2006 low rider with 30k miles. I told them my credit union was offering 7.5% for 4 years. They matched the credit union. Doesn't hurt to try and just see what they can do for ya. You'd be surprised.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Here is my advice, but you aren't going to like it:

Start making payments now, into a savings account.

Wait until you have enough saved up to put 20% down on the bike, and still have a year of payments stashed away (best bet: have enough to pay the bike off in full).

Then, when you go buy the bike, you put down 20%, which brings the principal way down, and shows the lenders that you are responsible enough to save up at least that much money.

Make payments just as you have, and leave that account you set up, aside in case god forbid you lose your job or get hit with some huge unexpected bill. Only then, start taking money out of that account to make your payments.

I did that with my first bike and it built up my credit, and I never had to worry about having the money to make a payment.

My credit is above 750, and I got it that high by being careful, patient, and smart about how I use credit.

I suggest that you only buy things on credit when you already have enough cash to buy them outright, but use the credit anyway to build up your credit score. Pay them off WAY early to avoid spending too much on the interest payments.

This is the key to building up good credit and wealth.
Well put....Couldn't agree more.

if your credit score is in the toilet the last thing you should finance is a bike

Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I borrowed from a "loan arranger".

Quick Reply: Buying a HD with not so good credit