General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Clutch Cable, took cover off and milky fluid, need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changed Clutch Cable, took cover off and milky fluid, need a little help

Guys swapping out bars and needed a longer clutch cable, bike is on the kick stand took the cover off where the clutch cable goes in and as expected some fluid came out (this is trans fluid correct?) Anyhow the fluid is a slight milky color. I'm pretty sure the clutch and the trans share the same fluid right? bike has almost 10,000km's on it I've put on the last 1,000 of those km's. So if this is indeed the trans fluid then it needs to be changed out. What weight and brand of tran fluid should I be using? Is it motorcycle specific? Synthetic non synthetic? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like water from condensation. Drain tranny and refill with fresh lube of your choice.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master

So what weight of oil should I be using in the Tran? I have heard of people using gear oil as as well, are all these pretty common? I should be able to find these at any automotive store? Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Might have to flush more than once. I got moisture in my transmission, flushed it once ran it up to temperature and drained it again. The second time it still had moisture mixed in. I run the same fluid in the engine, trans and primary. Synthetic is my choice.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
Might have to flush more than once. I got moisture in my transmission, flushed it once ran it up to temperature and drained it again. The second time it still had moisture mixed in. I run the same fluid in the engine, trans and primary. Synthetic is my choice.
Like same weight in engine trans and primary? The exact same oil? Or just same brand? I am up in Canada so don't get any super high temps. Ride in weather from 60-80 most of the time. Will change it out go for a ride and do another change tomorrow, but need to nail down what I should be putting in first, I will change primary at the same time as well, as I just bought the bike about 1,000kms ago and should probably change them both anyway.

So ya just needing help on what brand weight oil I should be going with.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
1/9AirCav
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As above poster stated milky oil is moisture contamination. It's generaly a good idea to change oils yearly if the mileage interval is not met.

As for trans fluid you have many options. The more popular ones are:
HD Formula plus
HD Synthetic
Bel-Ray 85-95 wt or equivalent

Always replace your drain o-ring, HD pn#11105.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Like same weight in engine trans and primary? The exact same oil? Or just same brand?
Yep, exact same stuff in all three. Most everyone I've talked to here says the same thing. I like 20W-50 Synthetic, Mobile 1 being my first choice.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master

Ok,

So I am safe to use this then.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I will try and find something cheaper to flush the trans with.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 PM
1/9AirCav
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
Yep, exact same stuff in all three. Most everyone I've talked to here says the same thing. I like 20W-50 Synthetic, Mobile 1 being my first choice.
As far as the motor co. is concerned the only lubricant that can be used safely in all three areas is HD Syn3. If not running Synthetic than Form plus for primary & trans, 20-50 or even 60wt (hot climates) in the eng.

Alot of my customers are drifting away from Syn's. More leak prone, noisey when hot & expensive.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master

So you are saying maybe something like this for Trans and Prim?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Quick Reply: Changed Clutch Cable, took cover off and milky fluid, need a little help