General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gangster apes on 2012 Fatboy Lo??

Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Gangster apes on 2012 Fatboy Lo??

Ok reason why im asking this question is i really love the stock handle bars that came with the bike their 1 1/4 reach back style handle bars and are extremley comfortable! But i do like the look of the 16" 1 1/4 black Gangster apes from carlini.. Im guessing it would cost between $700 and $900 bucks to get those installed. Would they be worth the money or should i just stick with my stock bars since i like them? Problem with this bike is for the first time i bought a Harley that i actually like the way it is for the most part from the factory. But i also feel like i need to add my style to it to give it some personality.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's tough to say if they're worth the money, how much does $900 mean to you? Have you ever ridden with apes before? Some people can't stand them.

Carlini is real nice stuff, but like you said by the time you get done with bars, riders, cables, and labor you're looking at a lot of money.

You can save a lot doing it yourself, it's not very hard. I had to extend the cables for these road king bars I have on now, real easy just time consuming.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with Babalu on the last part. Do it yourself if at all possible. Dealer labor is a killer. It will look good with apes on it. Just as long as they are comfy for you. I would not want to ride a long distance with my hands above my shoulders. Just below would be perfect though. Need some bagger apes for mine...LOL

Heck I was in a lawn mower shop yesterday and they are charging $95/hr labor. My friggin Harley Dealer only charges $60/hr.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say $700 - $900 to get them installed, are you referring to labor only? That sounds awfully high.

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Ok reason why im asking this question is i really love the stock handle bars that came with the bike their 1 1/4 reach back style handle bars and are extremley comfortable! But i do like the look of the 16" 1 1/4 black Gangster apes from carlini.. Im guessing it would cost between $700 and $900 bucks to get those installed. Would they be worth the money or should i just stick with my stock bars since i like them? Problem with this bike is for the first time i bought a Harley that i actually like the way it is for the most part from the factory. But i also feel like i need to add my style to it to give it some personality.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of things.... First, "Gangster" bars. Come on. Really? With a straight face? Apes are cool. Not for everyone, but cool.

$700-$900 to change bars and some are saying you can save a few bucks by doing it yourself? How about saving, oh, I don't know....HUNDREDS of dollars by doing it yourself. Cables/wiring do not equal big bucks. There are lots of Ape handlebars out there, unless, of course, your heart is set on being an Orginal G, nome sane (sound it out).

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Gangster bars" are just a stupid name from the company, they're nice looking bars IMO as long as you're not too hung up on a name. A ton of **** in the harley universe is named really gay **** "outlaw helmet", little joes "SOA" vest, **** even "nightster" is retarded.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

carlini bars are sweet ...I'd say buy the bars and install yourself ..but I haven't messed with that fly by wire so don't kow how practical that advise would be. Before I dropped that much coin , I'd see if I couldn't find a bike with apes to ride , like was said above , they arn't for everybody

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
"Gangster bars" are just a stupid name from the company, they're nice looking bars IMO as long as you're not too hung up on a name. A ton of **** in the harley universe is named really gay **** "outlaw helmet", little joes "SOA" vest, **** even "nightster" is retarded.
Agreed. And by the way, that's a good looking bike you've got.

Last edited by warrconn; 09-20-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have ABS on that bike have fun finding the upper ABS Brake line for Apes. And BTW you can change the line yourself but the dealer will have to reset your ABS for ya.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I dont mind the stocks either on mine. First I thought I need them brought back a bit, but just realized lately my floor boards need to be brought forward a bit...soon as I hang my feet over and under the pads, I lean back and chill way more comfortable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gangster apes on 2012 Fatboy Lo??