General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEATHER HONEY, your leather will love you!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts
Default LEATHER HONEY, your leather will love you!

I bought an old Schott and this conditioner brought it back to life. And boy did it need it. It soaked up 3 times the amount my other jackets needed. It's great for new leather as well.

This stuff is non toxic and won't damage your skin or eat up the stitching on your jacket. I mentioned this because I've heard some other products do. It was highly recommended by a tack shop near my house.

It's thicker than some other products and a little sticky but I had fun applying it to my leathers. It felt good on the hands.

Remember, it doesn't clean leather. You'll have to clean it with mild soap or something like Murphy's Oil Soap first.

Great stuff, try it.

http://www.leatherhoney.com/index.cfm

Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would you put that on a distressed jacket like the one you bought, or would that fix the distress? Do you even treat a distressed leather jacket?

I've had good luck with lexol, the benefits of that being that it goes on fast and dries/absorbs fast and you can do a 15 minute light coat of it every few months.

But I think I would like to try this leather honey stuff, and Pecards too. I think I'll rotate brands as I used the old brand up just to balance things out and lessen the risk of ruining something.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
would you put that on a distressed jacket like the one you bought, or would that fix the distress? Do you even treat a distressed leather jacket?

I've had good luck with lexol, the benefits of that being that it goes on fast and dries/absorbs fast and you can do a 15 minute light coat of it every few months.

But I think I would like to try this leather honey stuff, and Pecards too. I think I'll rotate brands as I used the old brand up just to balance things out and lessen the risk of ruining something.
I put it on my distressed and noticed no difference in the after it dried. It will look darker while wet though, but don't let that scare you. If you're worried about it, try putting on a little on a small section in the inside part of the jacket and wait until the next day to see if there's any color change.

On my distressed I purposely slightly darkened the sanded down edges. I just thought the contrast between the sanded edges and the rest of the jacket was a little too much. I used liquid shoe polish (the kind with the little sponge on the top of the bottle). I put a little on a old white t-shirt I cut up and rubbed a little on then wiped it down with a clean cloth. I think it looks better and looks more natural.

The Leather Honey may take a little longer to put on but as I mentioned before, I enjoyed it (maybe I'm just weird lol). As it absorbs and dries it will release the extra conditioner the leather didn't take (kind of like sweating). All you have to do then is wipe it down with a clean dry cloth. An old t-shirt worked best for me for both applying and wiping down. Don't use a cloth that will release lint.

You won't ruin your jacket with the Leather Honey. Their website has a good Q&A section in it if you want to look. It's a little messy but that's what was fun about it for me. lol

Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not concerned with ruining the leather, really, and some discoloration wouldn't bother me either, I'm more concerned with all this jazz I hear about some treatments eating the stitching. But I bet that the stitching in a modern leather motorycle jacket is nylon and probably bullet proof, you think?

The only stuff I have tried that seemed pretty worthless was nikwax.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I'm not concerned with ruining the leather, really, and some discoloration wouldn't bother me either, I'm more concerned with all this jazz I hear about some treatments eating the stitching. But I bet that the stitching in a modern leather motorycle jacket is nylon and probably bullet proof, you think?

The only stuff I have tried that seemed pretty worthless was nikwax.
From what I understand it's the product that contain wax or silicone that hurt the stitching. I know for sure that Neatsfoot Oil is not good for stitching. This is what the guy at the tack shop told me. Leather Honey doesn't have wax or silicone. And even with Neatsfoot, some supporters say it only hurts it over a long period of time and if used in large amounts. But still I wouldn't chance it.

Not sure what type of stitching is used now a days. It should be better than it was in the past though. Depends on the manufacturer I guess.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

so many different opinions and conflicting advice from people who supposedly are experts. Well, I guess that's why I won't use any one product for longer than one bottle or can lasts.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:15 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How well does it soften the leather up? Does it have an odor to it? I have been looking for something to put on the seats of my truck... the leather is not hard at all, but could be a little softer.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you had a nice experience with a product. Out of everything I've tried from the late 70's up to the present the only thing I will use to treat my leather is:

http://www.obenaufs.com/

There are lots of products out there though, and lots of information. Some of it is even useful.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Their locator sucks though.

http://www.leatherhoney.com/storelocator.cfm

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM
ArielleLH
Stage I

Hi guys! Thanks so much for trying Leather Honey. We're happy (but not surprised) that you had such a good experience with the product. I'd love to answer a few of your questions:

Leather Honey does NOT hurt or weaken stitching. In fact, it was originally marketed for leather harness, and our family has been using it that way for years. It's preserved the harness we use on our horse farm for decades.

There's no odor, and DYNAmiteBuzz is right - it is non toxic.

It will greatly soften leather, and there's no issue with applying it to distressed leather - in fact, I just put it on a new pair of FRYE distressed leather boots and they came out beautifully. We do suggest testing in a small area first, and it's not to be used on suede.

Finally, if you're having issues with the store locator, I'll check it out. In the meantime, I'm happy to help you out - shoot me an email at arielle@leatherhoney.com and I'll see if I can find a store in your area. We are also on Amazon (with free shipping) and we sell through our own website (also with free shipping).

Quick Reply: LEATHER HONEY, your leather will love you!