General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numb fingers - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:54 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Numb fingers - part 2

Hey guys...last week I posted a message regarding the numbness problems I have...particularly on highways, at higher speeds with more vibration. I really appreciated all the replies.
As it turns out, I picked up a different set of grips....but returned them because I really dig the ones I have on my bike now...you know...form over function

In any event, I went to the dealer tonight and inquired about putting a real deal cruise control on a wide glide. Their shop guy had mentioned that he had done it for someone a while back, but it was a little messy....whatever that means.

At that point, the parts guy pulled out the Kuryakyn catalog and found an "electro-magnetic cruise assist. Now no offense to Kuryakyn...but I just don't like their stuff...but this thing got me going. Before i could do any research, I told them...go ahead....order it for me.

I got home tonight, and after looking into it more, there are so many drawbacks, I think I'm just going to cancel the order (unless someone here can convince me otherwise). First, I have to use their grips and levers...don't really hate the ISO grips...but they're not my favorites either. I can live with that...not a deal breaker. But I don't know about the levers. Mine are a real nice chrome....are these just brushed aluminum??? Not sure...if so, that's a real turn-off. Then I saw something about not being able to use the chrome switch housing. I've got chrome switch housing on both sides, and love the look...I never liked the black...as you can see...I'm slowly changing the whole look of my bike with this thing. And after all is said and done, it appears to me that this isn't a cruise control at all..not a real one anyway. It won't hold speed...just locks the throttle...so it's just a glorified lock wheel..albeit, a nicer option. But the things mentioned above have really turned me off to this.

So if anyone has any experience with one of these units, I'd really like to know about it...before I commit..or don't commit. I still want to explore the possibility of a real HD cruise control installation...even if it involves some modification.

I'm sure some of you are reading this and saying...this guy wants his cake and eat it too...and I guess you'd be right. I don't want to change the look of my bike. I put a lot of time and energy getting exactly what I want. At the same time, I'm truly uncomfortable the minute I jump on the interstate.

Anyway...thanks for listening to me ramble on some more about this problem. I will eventually find some kind of happy medium. If someone could actually install the HD unit on my FXDWG, I'd be a real happy camper. I just don't know if that's really possible. I'm certainly not capable of that kind of thing. My mechanical skills don't go much past torquing down chrome parts to the right specs

Look forward to your replies.
Thanks again.

Todd

Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 AM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like, after you have changed all that stuff to accomodate the Kury junk, you could easily put a factory cruise on it. Just my thoughts though.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about that system but I would agree that I don't like Kuryakyn stuff either. If I were in your situation, that is a compromise I would not make.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

How long before you have numbness? Is it right hand or left or both? Is it any particular fingers?

If it is just minor tingling, get used to it. If it is fingers going numb, you are likely gripping too tightly. If it is your thumb, it is likely from resting your weight forward on the hands and putting pressure on the nerves in the palm of your hand.

Since you are looking at a cruise control I am assuming right hand numbness. It isn't the vibration of the bike doing it, it is the pressure points on the nerves in your hands. Use your throttle lock on open interstate to give your hand a break. Barefoot ******* is a cheap one that works very well and is easy to set and release. Get a throttle Buddy style product so you don't have to hold the grip so tightly and just use the weight of your hand. Loosen the handle bar clamp and pull your handle bars toward you as far as you can (I assume you have stock bars) while still making sure the turn signals do not hit your tank when against the right and left stops.

I learned these lessons riding long distances on a Dyna Glide. My thumb went numb on an Iron Butt and has remained that way ever since. I definitely screwed up a nerve in the palm of my hand. I have adjusted my bike as best as I can and now on long rides I really try to minimize pressure on my right hand. I'm not going to quit endurance riding, I just to do it smarter each time.

I ride a Dyna and have already researched cruise control for the line. Based on my research, I don't think there is a true cruise control for the Dyna line. And the work-arounds ar so damned expensive!! I refuse to pay that much for a band-aid solution. I quit looking and just decided cruise is a requirement on my next bike.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-14-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you say, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do your hands go numb while working or doing things other than riding the bike?

I used to have to shake my hands out when working on things like my RC cars, etc as they would go numb after a couple minutes. I had carpal tunnel surgery and all is good now.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

Try to ride with a pair of gloves on. I did that with my Dyna, found that wearing a pair of "Mechanixs" gloves made a huge difference!!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have several pairs of gloves that I use depending on the weather. All of them have gel in the palms and it is excellent for keeping the numbness away.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
BillM
Road Captain

I get the numb fingers in my right hand when riding my Yammy Warrior. One thing I know I do wrong is grip too tight. I don't get it so much on the Ultra because I will use the cruise so I can let go and ease the pressure on that hand. I think most of mine is from my grip on the throttle. I get the same problem when I run a weed eater. Major tingling. I really should use a throttle boss on the Warrior though. I have sat behind a typewriter at work for 13+ years now and I am not sure it is causing me problems with CTS. I have always used a wrist rest so I am not sure that is my problem. No problem any other time except while riding. I have learned to try and relax my grip BEFORE the tingle starts. It has helped. Some better grips would be good too.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This gizmo cost me $20 plus shipping.

It grips the hand grip with just friction, and you push the lever with your forefinger. You can back it off with just a twist of the wrist. Used it to and from Sturgis. Worked like a charm when the road leveled out west of Ohio.

Quick Reply: Numb fingers - part 2