General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove passing lamps?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 AM
indiablue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove passing lamps?

1991 Heritage I was removing the front directionals and I must have tweeked a wire for the right passing lamp. Both passing lamps are out. Headlight works on high and low beam and both turn signals work. I can see that the wires leading into the back of passing lamp have been pulled out about a half inch but not so far that I can see the ends. I've looked in my manual but the only thing I can find in there regarding the passing lamps is a picture with an arrow telling what they are(not much help) Any help would be appreciated

Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I was told, you have to first remove the turn signals. No small feat considering where the allen head screws are how you have to access them. Once they are removed, you can access the nut that holds on the passing lamps to the bracket. But, I'm told you have to have a special socket that is split so the wires will go inside the socket and not get pinched.

So I'm either going to leave my lights aligned the way they are, or some day pull the bulb out of the passing lamp and see if there is another way of doing it from that area.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Not sure if your 91 is the same as the newer lights, but as was stated, remove the turn signals and get the HD tool, it's a snap-on modified cutaway deep well socket to remove the bottom mounting bolt. A really stupid design in my opinion. Or you could cut the wires as I did and use a regular deep well socket to remove the bolt and then splice the wires back on reassembly. Did I say it was a really stupid design?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 AM
indiablue
Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I kind of had an oh **** moment when the lights went out and just put it all back together hoping that it would fix itself. Very stupid design. Gettin to those allens is pita.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My passing lamps point to much into the center of the road and I'm going to readjust them so I see more of the side shoulder. Here is the thread I found that cutting cut a slit into a deep socket like Bluehighways mentions sounds be a good idea. I haven't done it yet since it looks like some major bullchit to get those allen bolts out and I will soon have all winter to piddle with it.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...djustment.html

Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
indiablue
Cruiser

To make getting those allens off easier try taking a proper sized allen wrench and cut a 1/4 inch or so off the short leg. Still gotta make little baby turns but this will give you more access. I got them off without cutting them once but cutting the wrench made it alot easier the second time

Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Haven't took them off but one came loose trying to adjust it when the bike was new..
Turning it a little to adjust and it loosened up, then I had to have the special socket to tighten it back.

It is a PITA.. I ended up taking back to the dealer (warranty), even our Indy didn't have that socket.

They really both needed adjusted anyway but it is probably the worst designed piece on the bike..