General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Battery Tender Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Harley Battery Tender Problem

Hello All...I've had one of these Harley battery units for some time now...but I only really needed it when the battery was drained/not charged enough to start the engine (usually after sitting for a bit during the winter time). I know...I know...this is not the best way to maintain my battery. So this is why I'm writing.

Last night, I tried to wire up the harness that connects to the battery permanently...so I just can hook up the battery tender without pulling the battery cover off and using the alligator clips.

So here's the problem....and forgive me if this is not an issue on the softails and touring models...but with my bike (06 wide glide), I need to run the positive and negative terminals through the rear of the battery tray. The negative side is fine...goes right through. The positive, on the other hand, has a huge fuse only 2 1/2 - 3 inches from the terminal. And the fuse doesn't fit through the back of the battery tray....so it leaves me little room to pull the positive terminal/wire through and it's not long enough to wrap around the battery terminal.

In the process of doing this, I ended up pulling the entire tray out and I'm guessing I've inadvertently moved some other wires around...perhaps wires that I shouldn't have. One, in particular....the O2 sensor wire (coming out of the rear exhaust pipe) was up and practically touching the rear engine cylinder. I ended up moving this wire back down behind the battery tray....but once again...I have no idea if I've messed anything else up.

As you can probably tell...if I'm asking how to do this, I'm not the most mechanically inclined. But I really do try stuff before I suck it up and head to the dealer/motorcycle shop. The chrome bolt-on stuff has been easy for me. But these kinds of things (involving moving wires around) make me nervous.

So I guess the first question is...is anyone familiar with this battery tender wire harness...why was it designed with a fuse so close to the wire end...there's just not enough wire to pull through the battery tray and get hooked on the battery terminal itself.
The other question is in regards to any other wires behind the battery tray (on a dyna)...Once again....I'm hoping I haven't moved anything I shouldn't have. Any suggestions on what I should look for?

As always, I appreciate your replies.

Todd

Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Just add six inches of wire (same gauge) or so to the far end of the wire past the fuse. A couple of in line connectors will be all you need and then wire her up to the terminal.