General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission testing results with Cat removed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Emission testing results with Cat removed?

I was wondering if anyone has emission tested their bike with the Cat removed and how that went? We still have to do it here in AZ and although its 5 yrs away I'm wondering if my 02 sensors are compensating for any emission changes removing the Cat might have caused. I suppose I could have it Sniffed at an Indy, but why spend $ when we are all out there and I could ask the Forum .

Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,585 Likes on 4,613 Posts

you're testing bikes? thats new to me. well if you are, and you removed the cat, you're gonna fail, if they sniff the pipe. no if, ands, or buts. co, hc, and nox are way down due to cats. you wont be able to adjust for that, unless the specs set by the state are pretty liberal, which by the time they test I doubt.
I was always afraid they would start testing here in cali. first, so I kept my stock exhaust to put on for test only time. actuall thought about opening a business with a few different pipes and a charcoal canister with velcro, just for those days!! would be illegal though! altering smog equipment can get ya big fines and in some cases jail time

Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get tested, you'll fail. Save the old exhaust.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're trying to get the emission testing for motorcycles dropped here in Maricopa county. Hope it happens within next couple of years, the Superglide will be due in 2 years and the Sportster in 3. Both will probably pass no problem, but it's a hassle to get done and costs money I would rather put in the gas tank.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TSD1959
They're trying to get the emission testing for motorcycles dropped here in Maricopa county. Hope it happens within next couple of years, the Superglide will be due in 2 years and the Sportster in 3. Both will probably pass no problem, but it's a hassle to get done and costs money I would rather put in the gas tank.
Hey neighbor.......
It's a big revenue cashcow and I doubt they'll be voting to loss the emission $ right now. My original header underwent surgery to relieve a blockage, and is doing quit well post procedure. I suppose I can locate a stock header with the cat still on it by the time it's due in 2016. I'm going to get it sniffed by then to see if it will pass. How do bikes with complete exhaust replacement pass there's no cat in those? and don't tell me the tuner gets them through cuz I know my 02s are taking care of things until I replace the AC.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Google Montana LLC , and how to register your bikes in Montana (as well as buy them there with no sales tax) . Learned this last week on another thread here on the forum.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Google Montana LLC , and how to register your bikes in Montana (as well as buy them there with no sales tax) . Learned this last week on another thread here on the forum.
OK I will.......going right now..be back.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 PM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TUCCI,
found this at http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html.
Seems the state is ok with it, just waiting for the Feds.

"In 2008, the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2280 authorizing the exemption of motorcycles from emissions testing requirements in the Phoenix area. The exemption requires the approval of the U.S. EPA by July 2012 (as authorized by House Bill 2033 in April 2010). Subsequent analysis showed that the testing and repair of Phoenix area motorcycles does not provide a significant air quality benefit and a request for approval of the exemption was submitted to the U.S. EPA on November 10, 2009. ADEQ developed an Addendum to provide additional information and analysis to support the U.S. EPA's review of the exemption request. A public hearing on the Addendum was held on December 15, 2010. The Final Addendum was submitted to EPA on January 12, 2011. U.S. EPA action on the request is pending however, at this time motorcycles must still be tested in the Phoenix area."

Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Hey neighbor.......
It's a big revenue cashcow and I doubt they'll be voting to loss the emission $ right now. My original header underwent surgery to relieve a blockage, and is doing quit well post procedure. I suppose I can locate a stock header with the cat still on it by the time it's due in 2016. I'm going to get it sniffed by then to see if it will pass. How do bikes with complete exhaust replacement pass there's no cat in those? and don't tell me the tuner gets them through cuz I know my 02s are taking care of things until I replace the AC.
Actually, the legislature already voted, and passed, for dropping the emissions testing for bikes. A couple of years ago. They're waiting for the EPA approval to do so.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 AM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know someone (cough...cough) who dropped the cat's off his 2011 bagger and is really impressed with the reduction of heat on his pipes (and motor). Good thing his state doesn't do emission testing on motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Emission testing results with Cat removed?