General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone attended Wyotech or MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 AM
HD-4-ever
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone attended Wyotech or MMI?

I'm planning on getting out of the military in the near future, done my time (10 years next month) and my fair share of deployments (3rd one on it's way). It's just time to hang up my boots, dedicate myself to my family and look at a new career. I am going to attend one of the two just not sure which one to pick..

Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

One of the members of our hog groups son, graduated recently from mmi. He hasn't been too successful finding work. He was working at our local dealership doing the oil changes and washing bikes. Not exactly what he thought all the time and expense for his training qualified him for. I would say if your going to go to the school, plan on starting your own shop afterwards. At least you have a shot at some income. Everyone that I have heard worked at a dealership says there's more glamour with the job title, then money.,,

Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,588 Likes on 4,613 Posts

as a mechanic on both cars (mercedes/bmw) and harley's, I have to say there is very little money in motorcycles/repair. hourly flat rates are low in the dealerships, and as far as opening you own shop up takes a lot of tools/investment money to get started and look around your area, what is the labor rate around there, by the time you're done paying out rent/utilities, ect, you make very little hourly wage, on the other hand, you are doing what you love, and it no longer becomes a job, its a passion, and if you can live on that income, go for it, and I wish you success!!
Thank you for your service to our country, May God richly bless you!!

Old 10-29-2011, 01:18 AM
HD-4-ever
Cruiser

I appreciate both of your responses and I was debating on opening a shop or not but I have time to decide.. You're welcome and I wouldn't trade anything of done for our country and the people in it!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:34 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed, Thank you for your service! It is because of people like you that make this country great and safe. I salute you!

I went to Lincoln Tech for the primary reason that I wanted to get ASE certified, and wanted to know for sure that what I have been doing already was the right way to build a car. It is a good program, but still very hard to get into a job right now in any field. Opening a shop is also very difficult, will take a lot of capitol, and a lot of determination, as well as some ingenuity. Good luck in your venture!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for your service and I hope you are able to do what you want after you leave the service. This summer my son was interested in both schools. we contacted them and said that I had a high school student who was considering them, and we would like to get information on the school. as of yet, neither place has sent us anything. I hope your experience with them is better than ours.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Heard Wyotech was more of a diploma mill......

Old 10-29-2011, 05:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Please do a search , this very subject has been brought up at least 3 times the last year and you'll find some needed info in the last two threads I know it'll be worth your time .

Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HD-4-ever
I'm planning on getting out of the military in the near future, done my time (10 years next month) and my fair share of deployments (3rd one on it's way). It's just time to hang up my boots, dedicate myself to my family and look at a new career. I am going to attend one of the two just not sure which one to pick..
Don't do it! They are diploma mills.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM
HD-4-ever
Cruiser

Well I will be doing do more research on them both and looking into it a lot more. I have time to decide on this and hopefully the economy will pick up or I may be staying in the Army. You're all welcome!

Quick Reply: Has anyone attended Wyotech or MMI?