General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for a Toolkit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 AM
dbk1029
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for a Toolkit

Looking for recommendations for a toolkit I can keep in my saddlebag for my '97 Road King. Any suggestions?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you travel long distances and do you think you will be completing something other than minor repairs or tightening on the road? What is your mechanical ability?

If all minor and local, a crescent wrench, vice grips, wire ties, slot and phillips screwdriver, and a leatherman.

If a long way from home and more in depth repairs, a basic craftsman socket set of metric and sae. (less than $200) set of torx bits, set of allen wrench bits, a few screwdrivers, flashlight, wire ties, vice grips, leatherman, tire plug kit, air compressor.

The tools thread comes up a lot. In the past I've always taken the time to list out tools I carry etc. In my case it is an extensive list.

I've thought about this question a lot recently I believe there is a more correct answer though.

The answer is, take the tools that you know how to use and, can and will use on the side of the road or motel parking lot.

For some of us that means a lot of tools. We have the experience to wrench on our bikes whenever needed.

For others, that is not the case. It isn't a bad thing. I know peope that are not inclined or able to do the most simple of tasks on their bike when it is parked in their garage. It makes no sense for them to load up $400 worth and 30 pounds of tools they don't know how to use repairing their bike.

If you are comfortable tearing into the engine while the bike sits outside your tent, take the tools you feel you need to be comfortable in your travels. if your mechanical ability is limited to dialing a cell phone and providing a credit card number, that is cool too, your list of what to pack is much simpler.

If you are asking what tools to take, my guess is you are not wrenching on your bike a lot yourself, so don't take tools to do a repair you can't complete without your shop manual. If you do all your own wrenching, you can make a run through your tool boxes and know what you need to take on a trip to be covered.

Whichever camp you fall into is fine. It isn't good or bad. Just take what you need and feel competent to use.

Just a thought.

(and if you still want the list I carry on long trips, just ask)

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-11-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM
alauhog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Very good advice above.
Bring what you know how to use.
Even if it's a cell phone and a credit card

Last edited by alauhog; 11-11-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Thought I saw a recent thread in the Classifieds with someone selling two tool kits normally included with a Touring bike. The set that came with my StreetGlide is sufficient for my needs (of course I carry a cellphone and credit card!)

Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 AM
A Seabee
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My .02 cents

In addition to what others have listed, I try to carry 1-2 pair of nitril/rubber gloves, a half roll of black electrical tape, the smallest can of WD40, a small tube of dielectric grease, a good pair of side cutters, and about 10 feet of 550 cord.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Windzone kit they put together for Harley's. Very nice and good quality.