General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canada's Speed Camera for Pipes Passes Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Charging riders with loud pipes should have as much success in curbing crime as the long gun registry has had!
I mean Canada is damn near crime-free now that the real taxpayers...er...I mean criminals, are being rounded up and punished in the pocketbook. Harley riding hoodlums

Old 11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TFTCAR
Having read the Federal and Provincial noise testing regulations for my shop my gut feeling is after the first successful Court challenge this devise will become a $112,000. dollar boat anchor.
I don't know about that. Edmonton's noise bylaw has repeatedly lost in court, but is still enforced. If a ticket hits the court, chances are good it will be tossed.

When the community got together to pursue a case to a higher court (City of Edmonton appeal on a lost case), and possibly get the bylaw killed, the city just dropped their case a few days before the court date. Meanwhile, the funds raised by the motorcycle community were spent and we would have to start over with the fundraising and finding a case that could go to a higher court.

In other words, they are not allowing the issue to reach courts high enough to do anything about it. They know they'll lose. I'm sure Calgary will take the same approach.

Also, this is a municipal bylaw, and does not have to follow provincial or federal noise testing regulations. There may be a very weak argument at the provincial court level, but you have to get there first.

What I'm hoping for, is that the cage drivers will get involved. he majority of motorcyclists in Alberta have already shown they don't care enough about their rights to fight for them. After all, if they don't ride a Harley the chances of getting pulled over and tested are very, very slim. The sportbike riders I've talked to refer to the noise bylaw as a Harley Tax.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

Yeah... gotta love the gun registry. Sure officer, come on in anytime you want without a warrant. Although, gun violence is down considerably since implemented. Knife violence, on the other hand, has gone up even more.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

The thing about the noise snare is when ever you see a van or truck at the side of the road you know it's either a multi nova speed camera or a noise snare, I just pull in the clutch either way and roll past. So far so good.
I gotta ask again Ribbsy like the last time I asked, What's going on in your avatar this time?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by passae
This new fade of street level cameras for sound and speed are crazy!! I Put a tinted license plate sheild over the plate. Dark enough to hide numbers somewhat. I do it on my cars and bike. I have seen some other things on the market to help make a glare on the plate when the picture is snapped....
Unfortunately, none of that worked when Mythbusters tested it.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM
MattInFla
Road Master

The problem with this is that low frequency noise is very hard to nail down to a specific direction. Sit behind this camera and make loud noises, and whoever is in front of it gets a ticket.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MattInFla
Unfortunately, none of that worked when Mythbusters tested it.
Did they test clear nail polish?
Signed,
curious in Maine.

Hey good luck Canucks. We have plenty of BS ordinances too.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm gonna invent a meter that identifies all the whiners who bitch about loud pipes. It's an urban environment where there are a lot of people and associated noise that comes with living in a city. C'mon! Enough already. Granted, there are a few in the minority that give the majority a bad name, but don't punish the whole lot.

Thanks for the Charter, Trudeau.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Miked053
SAFER?! Safer from what? are you afraid of big scawy noises?
duuuude. For the record i was just joking.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

When I see stuff like this it makes me think, hummm… I’m glad I don’t live there, nuff said.

Quick Reply: Canada's Speed Camera for Pipes Passes Test