General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacket vs. Vest

Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
norcal96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know if its a crappy jacket or not,but i seen one at the local harley dealer that you can wear as a jacket and then you can remove the arms and its a vest,think it was about what you want to spend on one,,good luck with your search,

Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by L0W R1D3R
People on this forum never cease to amaze me. Let's say someone wants to go out and get a vest and then sew a HOG patch on the back and then goes to their local motorcycle hang out and buys 10 other patches off the rack that he likes and sews them on as well. What is it to you?

Are you that much more of a biker than the guy with the vest and patches? I am sorry, but to me a "real biker" rides a motorcycle and is not worried about what other people wear when they ride their bike. Maybe I am way off.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vikingur
I guess I did not initially specify:

yes, the vest will display patches; no, I don't wear one to look like a black leather cowboy or the dude from YMCA (both of whom I did see at Thunder Beach, by the way).

Basically what I am asking is to choose between a LJL/Fox Creek/Schott/HD jacket and a vest made in Pakistan, or a Mossi/First Classics/River Road jacket and a LJL/Fox Creek/Legendary USA vest. Both offer protection, albeit in different places, and the cheaper jackets will still keep my skin on my arms.

Just having trouble deciding...

I appreciate the input so far.
I have a Lil Joe's Leather (LJL) jacket, if you are looking for a great quality, customer service....I recommend Mike at Lil Joe's Leather. If I were to put a vest over the jacket then I would go with a cheap vest over a quality jacket.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by L0W R1D3R
23-1 North Texas. I suggest checking out a Wilson leather outlet store. The one where I found my vest was doing 70% off everything last weekend. Their leather is thick and heavy too. Got a vest for me and a leather jacket for the old lady for just over $230. Both seem to be high quality, but you can't tell until you ride in them for a while. Either way, if I have to replace them in 2 years, I will feel that I got my money out of them.
I got a really nice $300 wilson jacket on ebay for $100. I bet you could find a nice vest for cheap if you kept at it. Then you could have both on a budget.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
buy the jacket. I got mine at jamminleather.com for 95 bucks and would put it up against any harley jacket for 500 bucks
While this might seem like a good idea - you won't find out it was the wrong one until its too late. I recall reading a test of leather roadrace suits that looked great and had all the do dads on them to make any boy racer happy but when they went down things fell apart.............I mean that literally. Some of them burned through but most of them have the stitches fail and the seams exposed body parts to the pavement whereas the quality brands such as Vanson, Bates, etc could withstand muliple crashes without failure.

Originally Posted by Vikingur
I guess I did not initially specify:

yes, the vest will display patches; no, I don't wear one to look like a black leather cowboy or the dude from YMCA (both of whom I did see at Thunder Beach, by the way).

Basically what I am asking is to choose between a LJL/Fox Creek/Schott/HD jacket and a vest made in Pakistan, or a Mossi/First Classics/River Road jacket and a LJL/Fox Creek/Legendary USA vest. Both offer protection, albeit in different places, and the cheaper jackets will still keep my skin on my arms.

Just having trouble deciding...

I appreciate the input so far.

Then the choice is clear, no comparison the FOx Creek jacket will beat Pakitani leather all day long for a decent price and will last for ages or until you get too fat for it. LOL Their vests are just as good, I bought one to go over my FXRG jacket and had I done it the other way around I'd probably get a FC jacket too - FXRG is nice but the FC is better made with better leather.

That said, being in a warmish climate and since you plan to wear the vest often, if you use the vest with a fleece jacket it does surprsingly well in cooler weather, if its cool but not cold a mesh jacket under the vest is just the right combo or put a wind proof liner under the mesh jacket with the vest over it and its good for most conditions that aren't actually COLD.

I'd get the jacket now and the vest in the spring though.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just got a thick/heavy/soft leather jacket by Texportusa with a removable "thinsulate" liner for $179. Zipper vents all over for warmer weather. Looks to be built to last.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:53 AM
David_Martin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are deer everywhere right now. I'm getting in the truck and running one down right now. I'll make my own jacket with a deer head helmet and all! Free!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:17 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know, I know...Pakistani crap...Blah, blah, blah.

I'm on my 2nd year with this jacket.
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ets/52139.html

I couldn't be happier. I got into it for under $200 delivered (keep an eye out for e-coupons. I scored a 20%off). I tried on the FXRG (which I lusted over heavily but couldnt justify the $700) for sizing and it was spot on. It's a high quality jacket and sturdy as hell. The only thing you have to lose is the shipping cost if you try it and decide it's not for you. The FXRG has a few more bells and whistles (kidney belt etc...) but in terms of leather and workmanship I'd say it's pretty comparable

My vest and chaps came from a local leather shop

http://us1leather.com/

They will alter anything they make or custom make you anything you want. They custom fit anything off the shelf as well. Nice people and they attend most of the big rallys. Super high quality

Old 11-19-2011, 09:31 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
A good jacket is essential equipment.
Exactly. A good jacket is protective gear. It may save your hide. A good vest is a fashion accessory. It will make you feel like you look cool.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I love my leather jacket from Leatherup.com. It is heavy naked American cowhide. It is essentially a copy of a Fox Creek jacket that costs 3 times as much. See photos. Yes, I realize it is sewn in Pakistan (although the leather is US) but the H-D jackets are sewn in China, so what does it matter.

I also got a great leather vest, chaps and boots from Leatherup. All good quality at a great price. I could have afforded to pay 3 times as much for H-D gear but just couldn't figure out why I would want to. (I'm not big on having everything say H-D, except my bike)

Attached Thumbnails Jacket vs. Vest-fox-creek-jacket-front.jpg   Jacket vs. Vest-fox-creek-jacket-back.jpg   Jacket vs. Vest-leatherup-jacket-front.jpg   Jacket vs. Vest-leatherup-jacket-back.jpg  

Last edited by TKDKurt; 11-19-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jacket vs. Vest