General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacket vs. Vest

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:05 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Buy a jacket now, cut the sleeves off in the spring.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vikingur
I saw the vest thread - good stuff. I'd like to keep both comfortably under the $400-500 range total. Still trying to get stuff that will last a while...

CVMA 28-3. What chapter you in?
If you want brand new and good quality, that's easy - I wear a USA mader Schott Perfecto jacket and a Harley davidson "Stock" vest (China) and the 2 of them together, brand new, cost me $370 ($250 for the jacket on Ebay, from a dealer, and $120 for the vest at the local harley dealership).

If I wanted to go bottom dollar, I'd just buy a jacket and vest used on Ebay for $100 total. I have USA made leather jackets that cost me under $50 used (Schott and Excelled).

CVMA Chapter 1-1

Old 11-18-2011, 02:10 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch E-bay and craigslist for Harley jackets and vests. Some good deals on barely worn stuff.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Fox Creek leather is expensive but you only pay once. Plus they give a life time guarantee. I paid $380.00 for a HD jacket that was not all that impressive. For a little over $500 for the FC jacket and it's at least 3 times better. The vests they sell are just as nice. Plus the staff are real friendly and helpful. 100% American materials and labor also. Hope this helps...

Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jacket: Protects you and keeps you warm. A well made one will last decades.

Vest - place to hang silly patches and pins so you can pretend to be a "real biker" (exceptions of course for a vest which is intended to be the base of a cut).

One is akin to your seat belt in the car. The other is like having LED lighting in the wheel wells.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Jacket: Protects you and keeps you warm. A well made one will last decades.

Vest - place to hang silly patches and pins so you can pretend to be a "real biker" (exceptions of course for a vest which is intended to be the base of a cut).

One is akin to your seat belt in the car. The other is like having LED lighting in the wheel wells.
People on this forum never cease to amaze me. Let's say someone wants to go out and get a vest and then sew a HOG patch on the back and then goes to their local motorcycle hang out and buys 10 other patches off the rack that he likes and sews them on as well. What is it to you?

Are you that much more of a biker than the guy with the vest and patches? I am sorry, but to me a "real biker" rides a motorcycle and is not worried about what other people wear when they ride their bike. Maybe I am way off.

The following users liked this post:
PHX M8 (09-26-2017)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Vikingur
Tourer

I guess I did not initially specify:

yes, the vest will display patches; no, I don't wear one to look like a black leather cowboy or the dude from the Village People (both of whom I did see at Thunder Beach, by the way).

Basically what I am asking is to choose between a LJL/Fox Creek/Schott/HD jacket and a vest made in Pakistan, or a Mossi/First Classics/River Road jacket and a LJL/Fox Creek/Legendary USA vest. Both offer protection, albeit in different places, and the cheaper jackets will still keep my skin on my arms.

Just having trouble deciding...

I appreciate the input so far.

Last edited by Vikingur; 11-20-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you indicated you will wear the vest all the time I recommend you spend the extra money on a good quality vest that will last. Fox Creek Leather has great stuff and you can get a vest for a little over $100. Plus, there stuff is made in the USA and as a combat veteran that might actually mean something to you.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Redcad
Advanced

Jacket. Gives your arms some protection as well.

I got a real heavy buffalo leather vented leather from Leatherup.com for $99 delivered, no tax.

I use a Polartec vest under it when it gets cold that zips up and covers most of my throat.

If you are a pin and patch person, eventually you will get a leather vest.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive got a cheap vest, but will upgrade to a beeter one soon. I have patches that I bought at places I've been, but haven't had them sewn on. Got 6 or 7 so far. Some of them will eventually get sewn, some won't.

Gotta rub the all in dirt for awhile so I don't look like a poser...

Don't go cheap on the leather....THICK and soft is the way to go, not thin and smooth...unless you want a vest for summer and one for spring/fall.

Quick Reply: Jacket vs. Vest