General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annudder patch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Hiram
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annudder patch question

I was at the local stealer today, and I overheard a conversation. I know, I know, it ain't polite to listen, but I couldn't avoid it. This fella was buying patches for a vest and he was kinda taken with an HD broken wings patch in silver. The clerk that was helping him told him, "No, you don't want to put a broken wings patch on your vest."

So my question is this, What's the significance of the broken wings patch, and why wouldn't this guy want to put it on his vest if he wanted?

I checked out the patch, it looked pretty good.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Jovimon
Road Captain
Default RE: Annudder patch question

That's the "I've busted my @zz" crash patch!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:47 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you crash....you've earned 'em.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Bear64
Banned

when your walking around at a rally you will see them on the back of the vest, cutoff or jacket, simply means as some have said here, I have crashed and still ride..now thwere is nothing saying how hard a crash it has to be, just that you did indeed go down..some wear it when they just fall and scrape a knee, but most have really had a hard one, and mostly the ones wering it will be limping. Although I had gone down a few times in 48 years, it wasn't untill I hit a deer at 55 MPH that I really felt that I had indeed earned my broken wings, and yes I still limp..Hench the membership in C.O.B.B.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:36 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

So I'm to guess after my crash some years ago when i broad sided a pick-up @87mph with no skid marks ,did i at that point earn my broken wing patch ? maybe it should be a angel sitting on my shoulder patch

Old 12-03-2006, 09:40 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,884 Likes on 8,423 Posts

Geeez flhtpi04. You might rate the image of a truck with a hole through it patch.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my "Broken Wings" patch after I went into a guard rail at 45 MPH on my FXR. I still haven't sewn it onto my vest, even though I needed extensive surgery, metal added to my arm and knee, and it took me 8 months of rehabilitation before I could ride again.

It's funny. Doctors always ask if you are going to ride again, but are surprised when you answer "Hell Yes, Doc!"

Old 12-03-2006, 11:06 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard about there being a "crash patch". Guess I've earned one too. (Thus the name). Crunched between the bike and an 88 Chevy Caprice station wagon. One helicopter ride, 9 surgeries, one muscle transplant, 2 skin grafts, a titanium rod, 3 metal plates, 8 permanent screws, 6 months on my back, 2yrs of rehab, and a wicked cool scar and limp! [8D]

Hafta get me one of those patches. Oh! And a vest. LOL

Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Bear64
Banned

the idea of a broken wing patch I think is pretty new!! in days gone by, like a long, long time ago it was a full set of wings with one wing cut off..seems you all have earned your broken wing patch..I myself have given some thought to sewing a deerhead patch on my cutoff, or haveing one made up that simply says "Deer-0, Travler-1" Travler being the name of my bike. Sounds to me that some of you could really come up with a neat patch of your own design, which would always be a conversation piece around the campfire..As for a angel patch, they have guardian angel pins, but they should be bought and given to you by a friend or family member, for it to work for you, just a old bikers myth?? Same with the little bell, one should never buy his/her own?? case in point while at Sturgis one year a young fellow bought his own bell, we all told him that he shouldn't do that, he said he didn't beleive it made any difference, installed it on his bike, about a hour later we got ready to go for a ride and when he went to start his bike, all his wireing burnt up. myth or truth?? you tell me.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hiram

I was at the local stealer today, and I overheard a conversation. I know, I know, it ain't polite to listen, but I couldn't avoid it. This fella was buying patches for a vest and he was kinda taken with an HD broken wings patch in silver. The clerk that was helping him told him, "No, you don't want to put a broken wings patch on your vest."

So my question is this, What's the significance of the broken wings patch, and why wouldn't this guy want to put it on his vest if he wanted?

I checked out the patch, it looked pretty good.
Props to the clerk in the dealership for knowing what it represented!! I don't think anybody working in the dealership closest to me, including the owner, would have known that.

Quick Reply: Annudder patch question