General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotator cuff surgery, workman comp and Road King??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM
mosendero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotator cuff surgery, workman comp and Road King??

Looking for info here as I figure I'm not the only one to have issues with shoulder pain and pending surgery and owning a motorcycle.

I reported my injury Saturday morning after fighting the pain for months and thinking it would get better and at work Friday just topped it off as I felt the "POP" in the shoulder again. I am not running this through WC just to be lazy or get rich as I was not raised that way, this is a work induced injury and I see no reason to pay for it thru my health coverage.

How long were your recovery times after surgery to where you felt comfortable riding again?
What was the time period from beginning to end?
Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

MO

Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Going to take a couple of months anyway, cant stress enough to follow the PT rules. Once torn they never really heal perfect. I retore both of mine,now beyond repair. Go easy after the repair. Doc told me let the young guys do the lifting, as usual I did not listen. Tore the left one picking up a ladder. Just be careful. Riding, you will know when you can safely handle the bike.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had rotator cuff and some reconstruction surgery to my should a couple years ago. Took fully a year for full recovery. Probably was able to ride again within 2 months. My other shoulder is bothering me now but I'm thinking I'm just gonna live with it. Good luck - speedy recovery. FYI: Don't know your age but I was 56 when I had the surgery so I'm guessing the older you are the longer the recovery period.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I had rotator cuff repair. Followed the PT. Can't remember how long the recovery was. Probably about three months. I will tell you that if you don't get it repaired, it is a progressive injury. It only gets worse and the recovery is longer. I was right handed and this was my right shoulder. Did I mention I am right handed.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mosendero
Looking for info here as I figure I'm not the only one to have issues with shoulder pain and pending surgery and owning a motorcycle.

I reported my injury Saturday morning after fighting the pain for months and thinking it would get better and at work Friday just topped it off as I felt the "POP" in the shoulder again. I am not running this through WC just to be lazy or get rich as I was not raised that way, this is a work induced injury and I see no reason to pay for it thru my health coverage.

How long were your recovery times after surgery to where you felt comfortable riding again?
What was the time period from beginning to end?
Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

MO
MO: Don't ever feel like you are being lazy by filing a workers compensation claim. Workers Comp is a state run insurance company for exactly the type of injuries you have sustained. The guys who fake injuries are the aholes who ruin the system. Not the legit ones.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:24 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess it was about 9 to 12 months before I was really ok. 6 months and back to somewhat normal. As stated above, follow the PT. Don't do like I did...too much. I thought I could heal faster by working out more...WRONG!

This was in 1995 and I'm still not 100% but good enough, minor issues but nothing bad.

Last edited by AtkRWC; 12-11-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:35 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an A-C separation from a motorcycle Tbone in 1988..it bothered me off and on until 2005, when I finally had it fixed. By then it had gotten worse. Started out using a 'scope but had to open it up and go in. Doc said do exactly what I say and I would heal in 4 months. Go to PT, do what they say, do not overdo it. If they say lift 6 oz, lift 6 ox, not a pound. I was back to normal in 4 months and 100%. Bought a Honda ST1300a to celebrate!!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
Going to take a couple of months anyway, cant stress enough to follow the PT rules. Once torn they never really heal perfect. I retore both of mine,now beyond repair. Go easy after the repair. Doc told me let the young guys do the lifting, as usual I did not listen. Tore the left one picking up a ladder. Just be careful. Riding, you will know when you can safely handle the bike.
especially if going through workman's comp. i'm by no means an expert, thankfully never had to use wc, but i remember back a buddy of mine was on wc, and didn't do what the dr said, to the letter, and his wc was cut off because of it.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I have no wc for injuries, being in the military you just get put on a profile and can't do normal duty. I will chime in on the pt aspect though. I've had some bad back problems, being young and dumb got me that way...throwing steel tower legs rather than waiting for a forklift had me unable to stand up straight for several weeks from the initial injury. It took years of my back "going out" before I finally had a Doc send me to PT. Since going through that regiment I've had very few problems. You'll never get back to 100%, but the education from a good physical therapist will (should) put you on the right track...as long as you follow it.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
waramaug
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tore my rotator cuff in march so no riding for me this year.PT helped some but finally had surgery a month ago. Started PT again. They think I may be able to ride again by June.

Quick Reply: Rotator cuff surgery, workman comp and Road King??