General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys new 750cc bike?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:53 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why get exercised about something Harley may (and probably will) do in order to compete in foreign markets? It has absolutely nothing to do with the usual types of bikes they produce for the American market. And so what if at some point they decide to bring those bikes here? Again, this has nothing to do with whatever they decide to do in future with their $20k plus big V-Twins. They will keep making those, of variations thereof, until people stop buying them. All in all, much ado about nothing.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

It looks more modern than motorcycles from India's other motorcycle manufacturer, Royal Enfield.

Not sure how dealers will deal with a bike like this as I suspect it will not appeal to the traditional HD buyer and the type of buyer it will appeal to does not normally venture into a HD dealership.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
It looks more modern than motorcycles from India's other motorcycle manufacturer, Royal Enfield.

Not sure how dealers will deal with a bike like this as I suspect it will not appeal to the traditional HD buyer and the type of buyer it will appeal to does not normally venture into a HD dealership.
and given the choice between the 2, i would opt for the enfield anyday. course, that other bike would run circles around it, but it just doesn't have the 'cool' factor the royal does.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:01 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
It would make sense for the Motor Company to make bikes outside the USA for the foreign market. The import tarifs on bikes made here make HD bikes crazy expensive in Europe and Asia. Besides the types of roads and traffic over there do not lend themselves well to the big twins. A smaller bike would sell much better.
after we are under 5% unemployment in this country a factory outside of the u.s. would make sense but not now.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
VRSC frame, front end, and motor. Likely photoshopped, or at the very least an extensive custom, since the swingarm is almost surely from a Yamaha YZF R1.
That definitely isn't a 750cc motor though, unless they scaled down the entire powerplant by a 3rd while keeping the exact design components of the larger motor.
Not a 750? so your trying to tell us that you can tell the size of an engine just by looking? I'm willing to bet you can not tell an 883 Sportster from a 1200 just by looking at the engine. Or a 88 from a 96 from a 103 or a 110 by just looking if someone swapped the labels around. Just sayin.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,973 Likes on 677 Posts

As a dual-sport it has potential.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Rice burner enthusiasts would say it looks more like a Harley; look at the suspension, not even monoshock in the rear. And the rider would be able to sit up taller than race bike style. Looks more Harley to me than a V-Rod. Finned engine cylinders, but is that a thin radiator in front? Looks like it ought to whip a Sportster in the twisties, but I suspect most folks that wanted that would get a real rice burner, Ducati, or Beemer. I doubt this bike would get many sales from Harley owners, but might get a piece of the action from the others, and if Harley builds it, that's probably why. I'm sure it wouldn't be, not with "Harley" on the tank, but it's so simple looking it should be cheaper than most equivalent metrics. Harley could sell this for a few years at little or no profit to build a new customer base. This could easily be upgraded, and, being Harley, imagine the customization possibilities. Think low center of gravity (always a Harley strongpoint), exotic suspensions, 75-150hp - would be a real contender in the performance market. Doesn't matter if traditional iron lovers wouldn't want it - including me.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read it again my good man. I said its not a 750cc unless they kept the same physical size as the original VRSC platform. Notice the relation of the thermostat housing to the cylinders/jugs and you can plainly see it shares the same exterior dimensions. Now they could have reduced the internals, which wouldn't make much sense since the wow factor of that particular powerplant would be gone due to weight/power ratio. I seriously doubt that they would produce smaller poweplants that mimic the full sized unit since it isn't particularly cost effective.
Is that easier for you to grasp?

Originally Posted by perki48
Not a 750? so your trying to tell us that you can tell the size of an engine just by looking? I'm willing to bet you can not tell an 883 Sportster from a 1200 just by looking at the engine. Or a 88 from a 96 from a 103 or a 110 by just looking if someone swapped the labels around. Just sayin.

Last edited by Nocturnalnature; 12-18-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted this pic a few months ago. It's supposedly the first thing Harley of India will produce. slap a sport fairing on it, paint it orange and black, and it'd be a nice little VR replica

Old 12-18-2011, 02:01 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't make any sense since they just off loaded Buell. Why would they do another bike dealers don't support? Buell was treated like the red headed bastard step child.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harleys new 750cc bike?