General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you like to Camp and Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Brobrian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like to Camp and Ride?

On rides that take longer that one day, do you like to camp? Seems like most like to stay in a motel. That's got its advantages. Just want to know how popular camp riding is. I, personally, rarely have stayed in a motel. I like to find a campsite and chill by the fire, sleep on the ground, etc. Please don't turn this into a pissing contest. Just say what you like and why.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 PM
ThreatLevel Midnight
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Love to camp. Love the primitive feel. Love to lie there, all worn out from riding, and just listen to the night before I pass out. Plan to do it lots more this season!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We've crossed the US pulling a tent trailer and staying in RV parks. Had a blast.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 666 Posts

I've ridden and camped all over the country. Started out roughing it, sometimes just a sleeping bag on the ground next to the bike. Gotten more comfortable over the years, better bags, pads to sleep on, tent to keep the rain off and the bugs out.

A couple years ago we bought an Aspen camping trailer to pull behind my bike. Very comfortable, folds out to a king size bed off the ground, along with storage for food, coleman stove, etc.

Last year my wife and I took a four month, 15,000 mile ride around the country, camping most of the time, staying with friends and family occasionally, and moteling it when the weather was real bad.

Nice thing about camping, at least you know who slept in your bed last. Seen some pretty creepy stuff in motel rooms.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love to camp. Have done it for years. Going middle of March to Texas to camp and fish.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer to motel it (less to pack and carry and more comfortable) but camping has its place and i do it from time to time.... Really just depends on the trip

Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Brobrian
On rides that take longer that one day, do you like to camp? Seems like most like to stay in a motel. That's got its advantages. Just want to know how popular camp riding is. I, personally, rarely have stayed in a motel. I like to find a campsite and chill by the fire, sleep on the ground, etc. Please don't turn this into a pissing contest. Just say what you like and why.
I like motels like Best Western just to get enough rest for my next leg of a trip.

That being said, I pack my Oregon Bedroll just in case I get tired or fall short of my next stop- I love just pulling off and laying next to the bike and sleep to sun up.

There's no way to describe how alone and liberating that feels.

http://www.oregonbedroll.com/

Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Pvt Joker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motos, camping and adventures just go together.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

I pack for camping. And when on an extended trip i camp more than motel. But. If I am tired, dirty and a camping place is not close i look for a Motel 6 to luxurize myself. By the way. $300.00 plus for a bed roll is a little to rich for me.

Last edited by OLD 96; 02-18-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 AM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Prefer to camp. Splurge sometimes and get a KOA Kamp Kabin. Seldom at a motel. My wife is happy with it also.

Quick Reply: Do you like to Camp and Ride?